nitrite spike- PLEASE help

sepulatian

Originally Posted by DPerna
When i originally posted this thred my Nitrite was in betwen 2 & 4. My Ammonia was 0 but still you could match it up on the color chart with that yellow-ish color that mine reads. After doing a water change yesterday I re-checked my Nitrite and it did not change at all. Now this morning I decided to check it again just to make sure before i qt my clown and my Nitrite is at 0? and not only this my ammonia is completely clear, where before i had to match it up closely between 0 and 2 it has no pigment in it now. i also checked my other levels and PH was still 8.2, Nitrate still 1. is this possible?
I sure hope so

Yep, Your nitrate will spike next. I am very glad to hear everything is good now

sepulatian

then after the nitrate everything should be good?
Yes. Nitrate is only toxic in high numbers. One or two water changes should take care of it once it spikes. I am glad the nitrite came down so quickly for you!!!! It took mine over a month. :happyfish

dperna

yes im very glad too. how sood do you think i could do the next water change? i wonder what would have caused this little mess, maybe some live rock died off durring transfer? well whatever it may be, thank you for the help and although i wont have to qt this time i will shortly be setting up a quarentine tank so i'll probably have a new thread up about that in a week ha. thanks again!

sepulatian

yes im very glad too. how sood do you think i could do the next water change? i wonder what would have caused this little mess, maybe some live rock died off durring transfer? well whatever it may be, thank you for the help and although i wont have to qt this time i will shortly be setting up a quarentine tank so i'll probably have a new thread up about that in a week ha. thanks again!
I still think it is because the rock didn't have enough bacteria from the lack of ammonia source. It just was able to handle the nitrite quicker than I thought. Keep testing. When your nitrate reaches 10 do a water change. It is easiest to keep the nitrate low by doing changes before it gets too high. Feel free to ask anything you would like to know about qt tanks. I am always here

dperna

Sorry to bring this thread back alive but i have a problem. I went to check the Nitrate today to see if it went up but it was still at 1. I then checked ammonia-0 and Nitrite went back up to 2. What can this be?!?!?!? AHHH im very frustrated. someone please help any idea would be amazing

dperna

Sorry to bring this thread back alive but a little while ago i was checking to see if my nitrate went up yet like i thought it would, but it was still at 1 and not only this but my nitrite rose up to 2 again, and the ammonia is still at 0. What is going on?!?!?! somebody, anybody, please help!

dperna

Sorry to bring this thread back again but i was checking my Nitrate a little bit ago and it still hasnt gone up yet. not only that, my Nitrite went up at 2 again! ammonia stayed at 0. What is goin on?!?! :mad: Can somebody, ANYBODY, help me please

dperna

Sorry to bring this thread back again but i was checking my Nitrate a little bit ago and it still hasnt gone up yet. not only that, my Nitrite went up at 2 again! ammonia stayed at 0. What is goin on?!?! :mad: Can somebody, ANYBODY, help me please

sepulatian

I guess it wasn't fully done breaking down. It is still possible that the ammonia is being broken down quickly (before it has the chance to read on your tests) but the nitrifying bacteria just isn't there to quickly break down the nitrite. The option is still there to move the clown for now. I hope this helps.