Nitrites during cycle?

vbsaltydog

I am cycling my 55g with 60lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS. I am in the third day of the cycle. My ammonia rose to 3.0ppm the second day so I did a 20% water change and did a single dose of amquel+ and this brought the ammo down to around 1.5 - 2.0
The third day, today, the ammo was back up to around 2.5 - 3.0 but I'm sure this is from the LR die off as it is Florida Aquacultured and has lots of sponges and small plants. So I did another 20% water change but no amquel+ this time as the water change alone brought the ammo down to 1.5 - 2.0
Then I tested for nitrites and they are at zero but if I have ammonia and LR/LS (bio filter) and the bio filter converts ammo to nitrites then shouldn't I have at least some nitrites?
Thanks for your advise.

N

nereef

nitrites will appear after ammonia. more time is needed. there is some bacteria present on your lr/ls, but in too small of numbers to break down the ammonia in to nitrite. this is why there is a cycle that takes a couple weeks.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by vbsaltydog
http:///forum/post/2579985
I am cycling my 55g with 60lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS. I am in the third day of the cycle. My ammonia rose to 3.0ppm the second day so I did a 20% water change and did a single dose of amquel+ and this brought the ammo down to around 1.5 - 2.0
The third day, today, the ammo was back up to around 2.5 - 3.0 but I'm sure this is from the LR die off as it is Florida Aquacultured and has lots of sponges and small plants. So I did another 20% water change but no amquel+ this time as the water change alone brought the ammo down to 1.5 - 2.0
Then I tested for nitrites and they are at zero but if I have ammonia and LR/LS (bio filter) and the bio filter converts ammo to nitrites then shouldn't I have at least some nitrites?
Thanks for your advise.
Your ammonia level maybe so high it is killing or not allowing your nitrifing bacteria to propgate or culture. Those are incredibly high ammonia levels, I believe anything over 1.0 can be harmful to your benificial bacteria. Letting you cycle continue your ammonia will drop, then you will start to see nitrite and then nitrates. Your still at the beginning of your cycle nothing to worry about right now IMO.

dischirm

If you know anyone nearby, or at your LFS, maybe they can give you some used filter material. That really kickstarts the Nitrite cycle.

sepulatian

I agree that it is nothing to worry about yet. Nitrite takes a little bit of time to spike and the spike lasts longer than the ammonia spike does.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by Dischirm
http:///forum/post/2580033
If you know anyone nearby, or at your LFS, maybe they can give you some used filter material. That really kickstarts the Nitrite cycle.
By used filter material, you mean the mechanical filtration like the blue porous filter from a sump or do you mean like bio balls and/or a bio wheel?