Nitrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sepulatian

My nitrites keep spiking, no idea why. I have no ammonia, and no nitrates. It was zero a few days ago, I skipped a day of testing, then it was 1, next day .25, next day 2, today 1 Again no ammonia, what the heck?????

mcsd22

You have to have ammonia to have nitrites so how old is your test kits and can you have the LFS test to confirm? Something sounds funny.

sepulatian

alyssia, test kit is new, tank is about 6 months old now, everything has been fine for about a month since I got everything streightened out with the salinity, I used to have nitrates in there and low salinity, ammonia and nitrite were always good. Till now, I am not sure what is causing it. I have been speaking with Lion about this problem. He thinks the ammonia spiked but I have enough bacteria to bring it back down quickly, but not enough to bring down the nitrites. I did a water change today, 12 gallons out of a 55 that I never keep filled to the top So probably about 45-50 gallons in there, it's about 3 inches from the bottom rim of the top of the tank. Anyway, the nitrite didn't go down. I added Stress zyme and more Amquel plus to help. I have no clue what is causing these spikes without the presence of ammonia. What do you think?

alyssia

I honestly don't know. I have had the same thing happen with my seahorse tank twice (except the trites never went higher than .50) and I never figured out what caused it. I just did water changes till the trites were gone. I'm curious to see what Ryan says.

sepulatian

What kind of kit do you use alyssia? I am getting very tired of the color charts, because alot of them are so damn close in color, yet the point difference is huge between them!!!!!! You know what I mean? Is there a digital master kit out there?? I get so agrivated, because the difference is like almost life and death, yet the color is so close for each!

alyssia

I have the aquarium pharmaceuticals kit and I don't like it because of what you just said, the colors are too close. It's almost gone, I need to do a search on here and find out what kit is recommended.

alyssia

Originally Posted by sepulatian
drives ya nuts right?!!!

YES!!! I think the nitrates are the hardest to decipher.

sepulatian

Hey Alyssia, how are the seahorses comming along? I wish I could find a place that does CB. One kind of salt I have always wanted, but thought it was un-do-able.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by alyssia
YES!!! I think the nitrates are the hardest to decipher.
Me too, drip drip, shake for 30 seconds, then another 10 drips then shake for a min streight, don't stop!, then 5 mins.............lol!!!

sepulatian

did you ever set the nitrate vile down on a white surface after shaking????? I did, the yellow crap sinks in deep, took me forever and tons of soft scrub to get it out!

sepulatian

lol, while we are having fun abusing our test kits and how crappy they are, I still want to find out the mystery of the nitrites. I don't get it, no ammonia for awhile now, but lately nitrites have been going wild. Alyssia, while you are here I do want you to know that your advice was VERY correct about salinity, I got a red brittle the other day, and one of my serpent stars lived, and they are doing well, Thanks. :happyfish

alyssia

hey, how are the seahorses? doing good?

Yep. One of them got stuck to a powerhead the other night and that scared me, they are so delicate I didn't know if it would be okay. But so far so good.

alyssia

lol, while we are having fun abusing our test kits and how crappy they are, I still want to find out the mystery of the nitrites. I don't get it, no ammonia for awhile now, but lately nitrites have been going wild. Alyssia, while you are here I do want you to know that your advice was VERY correct about salinity, I got a red brittle the other day, and one of my serpent stars lived, and they are doing well, Thanks. :happyfish

I'm glad they are doing well. IDK why I got so bent out of shape over the salinity thing, maybe I need to take a break from here or something. I was arguing in two threads a few days ago and they both got locked up.

I didn't used to be like that.

sepulatian

lol it's all good! I get agrivated sometimes too! We all have bad days! I also didn't give you much of a chance, you didn't give me the answers I wanted so I dismissed the thread I was on and turned to lion. That was like the third time I had come on here and lion was the only person I had spoken too at that point. It's cool, I read more threads now, and am on here all the time. I know you help alot of people out, It was my fault for just abandoning what you were telling me (which was very correct) and jumping to another thread. I probably would have reacted the same way. you know how it is, when you have several sources of info and that info gets challenged.......later to find out my previouse infor was very false!!! I thank you alyssia, because I would never have found out about the high salinity. I recently slowly acclimated my favorite freshwater shark into my salt tank. (Columbian Shark, actually part cat, but looks like a shark)