NITRITESNITRITES!!!

brucewrs

I was checking my tap water with a test strip and my nitrites are high...I had called the water company and they told me that the water has no nitrites.I took a water sample to the LFS and my nitrites are high.What would you do?

fishgeek01

call the health board, make the water company see that they may have a problem, i am assuming that it is not healthy for us to drink water with high levels of anything inicluding nitrites also i would advise getting an ro/di system or buying your water, it is pretty cheap by the gallon

brucewrs

I have a ro/di system but does not take the nitrites out.I have a UV light which I will be using when I make the saltwater.

grubsnaek

the UV sterilizer will do nothing for mixing the saltwater. it kills bad algea and parasites that pass through it. regular tap water is not a good source for the water to be used for your DT. the ro/di unit you have should take that out. you may have to replace your media in the unit. also i live in central jersey and they sell water for . fresh ro/di .50 a gallon. and for saltwater pre mixed 1.00 for a gallon. if you have salt just get the fresh water and mix yourself. jmo