NM Reef, Coris Wrasse?

jumpfrog

NM Reef, noticed in another thread that you had a red coris wrasse that is now 7-8". How long did it take to get that size and do you have a picture?
I have one in my aggressive and love him. Just curious as to how fast they grow.
TIA

nm reef

To tell the truth I've never been able to decide if its actually a red coris or a formosa ... they look very much alike as a juvinile.
We got ours as a young juvinile with bright orange/red coloration. When purchased it was 2"-3" in length...within a year it grew to 7"-8" easy. I don't have any pics when it was orange(no digital at the time)...below is a pic from a few months ago prior to removing it from my reef. Since I relocated him the coloration has started to change from the dark in the pic ...his head area has started to change...in time after the transformation is complete maybe I'll be able to positively ID the thing.

nm reef

This is the most recent shot of him...just a few days prior to catching him and transfering him to my fish only system. His head is now a blueish/reddish coloration...and the lower body has lightened considerably.

nm reef

PS.... Any of you fish experts wanna attempt to positively ID this for me?
Was purchased as a red coris...and when young it looked like a red coris...but as it matured I began to wonder ... and still do. Is it a red coris or a formosa? Or something altogether different.
Don't even comment on "why did you get it if you didn't know what it was"...this was the first and only fish purchased by my wife...I love her...but she'll never buy another without first talkin' to me about her choice!:rolleyes:

jumpfrog

Great fish! But, it looks nothing like my red coris wrasse. Of course, I could be mistaken about mine too. The reason I was most curious is that mine is probably 5", 6" tops and has already changed to its adult coloring. Well mostly. You can still some of the juvi markings on the top of its head. With the size of yours I would think it would be an adult as it's much larger than mine.
Here's mine. As NM Reef said, if anyone out there can shed light on exact species, I'd love to know.

grouperhead

Jumps is definately Coris gaimard, aka yellowtail/red coris. I'm going to guess on NM's and go with Coris frerei. Search that NM.....Spider, 'true' coris aren't reef safe. Bo

nm reef

Yup Grouperhead...I agree on your ID. Initially I thought mine was a red coris & like I said as very young specimans they look very much alike. But as mine matured I began to wonder...this link nails mine to a tee. The third pic is what mine currently looks like. The link also has some good information and personal experience that matchs the situation with mine.:cool:

spider crab

Grouperhead, So what's the difference between "True" Coris and non true coris. I've seen red coris in my LFS and really like them, but wasnt sure if they would be a problem for my reef tank. Are there some coris that are ok?

grouperhead

True coris wrasses are of the genus Coris. The genus Halichoeres is often labled as a 'coris' wrasse. When small, the true Coris are reef safe, but as they mature they begin to predate on crustaceans and sometimes other fish. The Halichoeres are reef safe for the most part throughout their lives. The yellow 'coris'/canary wrasse/banana wrasse/yellow wrasse is the most often seen member of this genus. Bo