No Hitch-hikers?

I have my 25 pounds of premium cured fiji live rock in my tank for almost a week now. there is some green algae growth, some red crystals (is this coralline algae?), and a few clusters of a beige substance that looks wispy, maybe about 3/8 inch long. When, if ever, would I notice any hitch-hikers? I hear everyone's stories of bristleworms and featherdusters, and am wondering if i got a bad batch of rock?

oregonbud

Bristle worms are a bit elusive sometimes, and you really have to watch closely for them. I didn't see any in my tank for nearly two months. The first ones I saw were right after I turned out the lights but it was still light enough in the house to see in the tank, so kind of a dusk time effect.
You will notice hitchhikers eventually but a week is not usually a long enough time to see them, it took about 6 weeks for me to really start noticing the tremendous amounts of hitchhikers, also this may be a stupid question, but I noticed you said it was "Premium cured fiji live rock" I am assuming you ordered your rock online? And if so did you cure the rock prior to placing it in your tank?

i did order it online from another company. As I have no livestock in my tank, just live sand, I only gave it good rinse in a bucket of saltwater, and used a toothbrush to remove black (very dead) "stuff", reasoning that a small amount of detritus on the rock was good for the cycling process.

oregonbud

Sounds great then, just be patient on waiting for stuff to emerge. Since it sounds like your tank is still in somewhat of a cycle, I would imagine that after the cycle is complete, you will really start to notice things sprouting out. I got all established rock from an established tank, and am still noticing critters pop up everywhere. I started with two noticable dusters, now I can count over 20, and I'm sure there are more that I am missing.
Just be patient :)

birdy

It will take a little while to see life, the stuff that survives the shipping and curing process is usually small and stuff usually really starts popping up after cycling is finished.

lesa

using a red light after the lights have been out for about 2 hours should result in some critters.:D

I seeded my tank with 2 pounds of LR rubble from my LFS. I saw my first bristle work a week later. Now after two weeks, I'm beginning to think I have a problem. With the lights on I can count 15 of them crawling around. Is there such a thing as too many?
Where in central Jersey are ya?
--Self edit--
I should add that the LR came straight out of the LFS display system, so it's truely LIVE. There was no die off to worry about.
--end edit--