No Local fish store!

yannifish

In my area, there is no local fish store, so I have to get my fish from here, but the minimum order is $79, so how can I get just one fish at a time?!?

yannifish

Would it be ok to order a few fish at a time to reach the mimimum order, and keep them in the qt until the other tank is ready for the bioload? My qt is a 10g.

andy51632

Your QT would not be able to hold up to the bioload. Do you need any cleanup crew or corals? You can also order those.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by bill109
minimum order amount is 79 for livestock?
thts dumbbb
This has been discussed a 1000 times.
SWF does not charge shipping. Doesn't make sense for them to catch, bag and package a couple of hermit crabs does it?
They have established that $79 is the point where they can be viable.

yannifish

Ok, I'll just get a few inverts or corals and a fish every month or so. Hope it will work out. Or, could I get fish in groups of two or three (depending on size), some inverts, and put one in the qt and the other directly in the tank? Or would this be to risky for disease?

bill109

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
This has been discussed a 1000 times.
SWF does not charge shipping. Doesn't make sense for them to catch, bag and package a couple of hermit crabs does it?
They have established that $79 is the point where they can be viable.
so they wont bag u a 40 $ tang..

srfisher17

Find a friend, advertise if you have to, and share an order. IMO,quality,price,service, and guarantee are much better online. I know it is nice to give the local merchants the business; but I'll never go back to LFSs for fish.

E

essop3

It is ideal to QT all fish. Your 10g will hold 2 SMALL fish, like a pair of clowns.
$79 is easy to spend. I don't know anyone that can't use a few snails, crabs, star, feather dusters etc.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by bill109
so they wont bag u a 40 $ tang..

No they will not.
Overnight shipping, time, staff, processing, packaging, etc... they all add up.
A $79 dollar order is what they feel like they need to be profitable.
Other stores don't have minimum orders, but they charge for shipping. Frankly, you get a better deal this way.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
No they will not.
Overnight shipping, time, staff, processing, packaging, etc... they all add up.
A $79 dollar order is what they feel like they need to be profitable.
Other stores don't have minimum orders, but they charge for shipping. Frankly, you get a better deal this way.
Called economies of scale. hehe. I did graduate with an econ degree after all.
It really isn't a bad deal. If you go price other sites, if you order a 50 dollar fish it will cost 40 dollars to ship it. I don't know how swf does it.

rabbit_72

Originally Posted by mamasky712
I just add on a bag or two of pods when I need to meet my minimum.
I was going to mention the pods.I mean, who doesn't need pods? Some lucky people with tons of them don't, but our tanks need them. So glad we found them here.