NO Nitrates--None!

Hey all,
Just thought I would share some good results for a change.
Recently I changed to a DSB reef. In doing my bi-weekly test on Saturday, my nitrate test was clean, that is to say no nitrate at all! I even re-tested, then used 2 other test kits to see if I could get any results. I just couldn't accept the fact that I had NO NITRATES! :eek:
Well, after all my years in this hobby I have never had zero trates. I've lowered them to be sure, to even <5ppm, but never ZERO!
I just wanted to celebrate with my fellow reefing friends. I am a believer now of DSB nitrate reduction capabilities!! BTW, I also have a good crop of macro algae in the disply tank, Halimeda (Cactus Stalk).
Thanks for listening!
Hermit

tnreef

Congradulations!!!!!
Lets hope there is a little trates though. Your corals and macro alge will appreciate small amounts.
GL Hermit
Darryl

Thanks Darryl. I'm wondering if the macros aren't mopping up any nitrate that might be available. The growth is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch per day. You can almost see it grow.
FWIW, the Cactus Stalk Halmedia is real attractive in a reef, and much easier to prune than some of the other macros that have to be pulled out, sometimes making quite a mess of your reef.
Anyways, thanks again!
Hermit

tnreef

Hermit,
I am hoping to have that problem in my refugium which I will be setting up right after I get back from holidays mid June.LOL
OFF TO THE BEACH. LOL
GL Again Darryl

tnreef

BTW Geoff
A DSB is a deep sand bed
It does not surprise me that you don't know I used to live in the Lower Mainland and the LFS in the area SUCK. My first attempt a salt was in B.C. and I never thought I would get back into it after that experience.
Darryl
Where in Van U from?????

Hi Geoff and welcome to the board!
DSB stands for Deep Sand Bed. To learn more use the search engine, there has been tons of posts on this subject lately. It will save these tired fingers (all two of them :D) from all that lightening speed typing.
But if you should have any specific questions, we're all here to help.
HTH
Hermit

geoff

Thanks all,
TNReef, I live in North Van, yes the LFS's seem to suck but I found one downtown where the salt guy goes to conferences and seems to know his s@*t. I haven't bought anything yet, should I be scared?

C

coralbeauty

Hermit that is great! Again, I am following in your pathway....I now have DSB in both of my reefs. My small reef is understocked and it has alway been at 0, even with CC. My big reef, the one I accidentally sent into re-cycle a few weeks ago is giving all kinds of trouble. I hope it can get to zero like yours!
Connie

broomer5

Hermit,
I am curious and very interested in hearing more ... if you have time to reply.
What other substrates were you using over the years, and more specifically what sort of setup had you been using most recently.
I am considering changing over to a DSB as well.
My 55 semi reef substrate now is a 2-3 inch mix of aragonite and CaribSea reef sand, and is teaming with life, polychaete worms, amphipods, copepods and I'm sure a good deal of benificial bacteria. Tank has been set up for about 13-14 months. My nitrates normally are around 5 but seem to be slowly creaping up. Zero sounds really good to me!
Did you completely remove your other substrate from the tank, including all live organisms .....
Any additional history or advise would be appreciated. You may see my set-up on my website - see profile if interested.
Thanks in advance,
Brian

Hi Brian,
I visited your site and your tanks look very nice indeed.
Over the years, I have had just about every substrate (including none) and filtration system and have gone through all the "phases" as this hobby has evolved since the late 60's. (Yes, I'm old but I don't have blue hair yet :eek: !)
In my 125 I had had CC for the last 7 years and just 6 months ago removed it all and replaced it with LS.
In my new 40 gal/br tank, reef only, I began with a DSB, 5" (130 pounds) of ESV oolitic sand, and seeded it with a bit of LS from my 125 tank. This tank now has -0- nitrate, while the 125 always shows some, and I have never been able to get it to 0. But the bed in there is only 2-3" deep and not constructed the way I did my new reef from ground up.
I would say if your nitrates are around 5ppm this is not a bad thing, most hobbyists would die to get it even that low. And, like you said you have tons of life in there. One possibility, which is tedious but works: While removing your existing substrate you can sift out the critters thru a sieve, or colander. But that's only if you really want to start over. Your existing bed sounds like it is performing.
One thing I am a advocate of is very fine sand, the smallest grain possible. ESV is like powder. And don't ever rinse it, the fines are good. My tank was not cloudy for more than 24 hours, if even that.
In all my years in this hobby I love, I have never had such a care free tank as this new 40 reef tank. All I have for filtration is a DSB and LR and a skimmer run 24/7. Good water circulation and lighting and the tank runs itself. Only additive is a two part alk/calcium.
We indeed have come a long way.
HTH
Hermit

broomer5

Thanks Hermit,
I suppose I have some decisions to make. It sounds as if you speak from a great deal of experience and hard work.
I hate to mess with something that is working, but I'm always looking on ways to improve.
Thanks again for the kind words and advice.
Brian

kdlbem

Just curious hermit, did you use a plenum? I want to switch to LS in a 75gal. FO(community tank) and I'm still checking out all the options. Thanks,
B

Hi B,
I did not.
In my 125 I couldn't, without tearing down a 7 year old mature tank.
When I built my new reef I made the choice of DSB.
Using plenums or DSB's, or any of the other approaches that are being develpoed, are the aquarist's choice. With all the literature available and with the advantage of talking to "seasoned" hobbyists, we all can make the choice of whats right for any individual application.
HTH
Hermit