no skimmer?

jpa0741

Soft corals like some nutrients in the water. So yes you can keep a succesfull softy tank with no skimmer. You still need to keep trates under control with water changes. It all depends on your bio load also.

veni vidi vici

IMO you dont have to have a protein skimmer if you have time to do all the water changes necessary to keep your water healthy for your Inhabitants.Other than lack of funds though i see no reason why you wouldn't want to have one.If its funds you lack look into the Algae Scrubber thread,it may be a cheaper and or better alternative for you.I havent tried one yet but i may in the future.

jackri

I know a successfully set up sps tank of 12 years that has no protein skimmer or other type of filtration what so ever..... he does a lot of water changes and what he's doing works for him -- but I wouldn't recommend to others.
Tank is 120g high? and just beautiful with a descent bio load. Don't think he doesn't clean it or have a regular water change schedule though to be successful -- he does... just crazy no other filtration. Just a wavemaker and power heads to go with the lights.