No sump reef question

chrisnif

Does anyone here run a reef with either HOB or canister filters? The stand I want is on the small side and a sump isnt really an option. I was thinking about 2 of the large penguins or a penguin and a canister to get around 600 gph on my 55 gallon.
I'm going to have about 75 pounds of live rock, 2 inch sand base, a good HOB skimmer as well.
I was also just shown a way to do an above tank fuge inside my canopy, maybe 3-4 gallons worth of room.
I was just wondering if anyone still did this and if they have had success in a no sump reef?
Thanks

mikersof

I have two tanks. Neither of them use a sump. Both have HOB skimmers. My 80 has a Emperor 400 filter. My 55 has a Fluvel FX5 (yes, overkill). The filters just have the basic filters. I do run carbon every now and then.
My water conditions have been outstanding for the past year. I'm just starting to add LPS corals. Softies have been flourshing. I can't give Xenias away fast enough.
Feel free to ask more.
james =)

chrisnif

I have a 55, I was thinking about 2 of the emperor 400s, but i guess the rock is what's filtering honestly, so its more important to have some good flow via power heads?

mikersof

In my 80, I have the returns from the skimmer and Emperor 400. I have also added 4 Maxijet 1200 set on a timer.
Two are on at a time. One pair moves the water counter clockwise (one behind the rock moving water to the left and the other moving water to the left across the front of the tank). The other pair work just the opposite.
In my 55, I have the return of the FX5 (which is really too much) paired up with 2 Maxijet 1200 on timer running only 1 at a time. One moves water across the front of the tank to the left. The other alternates water to the right.
Seems to work for me though many would not recommend it. I feel prey to LFS's bad advice when buying. I wish I had the money back to buy different but this is what I have for now.

chrisnif

I got ya. I've got some unidentified powerheads from a local reef club member. They seem to move a good bit of water, and they have a large "smile" type opening slot to let the water out so its not a jet per se. I'm going to see which ends up coming to me cheapest via the bay or the LFS's "used bin" either an aquaclear or a large penguin....then we'll see where this leads...
Thanks much

chrisnif

Dont want to start another thread, but someone from my local reef club told me you can actually do a filterless tank. Basically just powerheads and a skimmer. Can someone give me an idea of how many GPH i should have in a 55 gallon to keep the water at the right speed :)
I'm going to probably use a small HOB filter to slowly flow water though for carbon, i've got a 100 gph aqueon filter lying around here somewhere.

scuba-raru

I had a 40Gal w/o a sump. I had a skimmer, 2 Maxijets 1200's and an Eheim Canister Filter and it was perfect for years. I also had a LOT of rock (about 50lbs) that helps a lot. You should be fine as long as you keep up w your water changes. Good luck!

E

eric b 125

i dont have a sump on my 125. i dont have any detectible ammonia, trites, or trates. of course i'm sick of all the HOB equipment so i'm drilling it in a few weeks. in a reef tank, which i'm assuming that's what youre doing, you should aim for 20-30X turnover.

kspops

I took a side of my HOB ? Penguin filter and added Live rock rubble, the other side has the standard filter. This was my first and now quarantine tank. I may pull the LRR for the new system.

E

eric b 125

+1. i have a good old HOB aqua clear, or penguin filter. i took all the guts out of it and just put LRR in there with a few bottles of pods. there are HOB refugiums you could look into as well. if i ever wanted to run carbon or anything, i would just toss a bag of it into the gutted filter.