No water changes?????

cgr

A few days ago I asked if I should do a water change since it had been quite a while since the last change and everything seemed to be doing so well. Some fish keepers in this forum responded that water changes were not necessary. Well, that answer really confused me. I did do a water change and everything is fine but what really if the best practice?
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 scooter blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sandsifter star
emerald crabs, snails, blue and scarlet leg hermits
Wet/Dry filter w bioballs
5+” DSB
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates undetectable,
PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024

beaslbob

The only thing a water change would do to your system is degrade it. It is no coincedence it is in such good shape. Everything is so good because you do not routinely change everything with water changes.

aileena

I respectfully dissent...I would not bath in the same water everyday; so, i change at least 5% of the water once a month...I honestly think it replaces trace elements that are essential for a reef tank with corals...its probably good for the fish too...this may sound like a general explanation, but I've never had a problem changing 5% of the water once a month, unless I was too lazy

reefnut

I plan to Start doing 5g every week on my 125g. I was doing 20% once a month.
The best practice is what works best for your tank. With all the water talk here lately I'm convinced that a little water change more often is better than more water change less often.
Either way IMO water changes are benificial.

I personaly do a 25% water change once a month (I even got a timer to tell me when it's due)......I didn't do a water change once in 3 months and my nitrites were at 200ppm........it took me doing a water change every weekend for a month to get them back down. that's also when I found out that my test kit was bad.......everything was great according to that, but on a whim I took some water up to the LFS to have it tested, and that's when I found out!

cadbury

It really depends on what type of filtration your running. I personally have a 180 gallon Reef with an Ecosystem. With an Ecosystem you are not suppose to do any water changes. The Miracle mud that is placed in the ecosystem is suppose to replenish the aquarium with all its proper nutrients. I have to say I have done a couple of water changes in the year that it has been up and its been doing great, everything looks healthy and flourishing and all the levels are perfect. (Knock on wood) But why fix it when its not broke.........
Its been a everlasting arguement with aquarist, you'll notice that everyone has a different opinion about it and I think you'll just have to research it enough and do whats good for you and your system....... Best of luck to you!