noisy overflow

jnvette

i added a fuge/sump last week with a hob overflow,is there any way to quiet this thing down?lots of loud gurgling noise.thanks in advance for any help

T

thomas712

You can still set up a durso in an external overflow, that should silence it.

T

thomas712

Just put in Durso Standpipe in your web browser and you find tons of information about them, how to build them.
I've made a few until I got it just where I wanted it, and believe me they will quiet that sucker right down.
Thomas

fishguy_40

the part that's in the tank, yes. on my old setup, i had a cpr overflow box, it had to screws (on top) one on each side of the overflow cup to raise and lower according to your tank level. this was used to account for evaporation.

ophiura

Beg your pardon dear Thomas, but methinks that, for the external overflow, it is the stockman modification of the durso standpipe.
LOL :D I have been looking into this stuff up to my eyeballs and trying to figure out how I could modify it on my overflow. At least they look simple and cheap enough to make...if you don't already have a 1" pipe glued into the overflow.

T

thomas712

Correct the stockman version, thanks so much Oph!
Thomas

dburr

...if you don't already have a 1" pipe glued into the overflow
Cut it if you can and use an extention. This time don't glue it.
I have found out if it's in the tank or over it and no pressure, don't glue it.
Makes things so much easier to upgrade/change later.

ophiura

I wish I had done it, at least I could kick myself. It was given to me that way. Of course, it was given to me so I shouldn't complain much. I was figuring I would just cut it down...when it gets loud enough to risk my marriage. :D

daisy

Hmmmm... When I was bothered by the sound my overflow made (though it did not compare to the sound my 2 year old makes when she's angry), I jut put a sponge like the kind that sits over the intake for the pump that exports the water back from the fuge up to the tank in the noisy compartment of the overflow box so the water doesn't fall as far. I don't hear anything now, and it serves as a filter to boot! Was basically free, too.
Wish it was that easy to quiet the 2 year old...
-Daisy

57chev

jnvette, one thing that could help ya, is adding a plastic ball valve underneath your overflow, then after its flowing you can adjust the valve to add a little back presure which eliminates the flushing toilet sound syndrom:yes: