Noisy overflow

sc0rp_xiii

The box on the inside and outside of the tank never fill so I am assuming the 1000+- g/hr pump I have is not keeping up with the overflow. It is quite noisy as the water fills both. Am I just out of adjustment or do I need a larger pump? It is a dual U tube over flow box with two 1" pipes running to the wet/dry. I bought it used so I do not exact specs and am curious

ray fdny

i installed a shut off valve at the tom of my wet dry to create a tiny bit of back pressure to keep my overflow from making the sucking noise

myreef05

Try lowering the tube going into the sump so it is under water more. Try that or search for "standpipe" and install one of those.

sc0rp_xiii

will look at doing something like that into the wet/dry, what about the initial overflow box? the water level in there is always about two inches below the water surface. That is why I was thinking my pump just wasn't strong enough

turningtim

OK first off your avatar is freaky me out! The inner box should run lower then the water line it is normal. If it is level with the water then your pump is to strong. You can increase the flow a bit and it will come up but not nessasary ....

sc0rp_xiii

ok, thanks for your help tim. I will continue to adjust it and see if I can tweak it alittle more. I was concerned with the pump not being enough because one of the "U tube" syphon tubes has air in the top of it as the suction doesn't pull on both of them fully. Does this make sense or is that normal? sorry for so many questions, this is my first experience with an overflow box.

turningtim

Thats not good! Is the air collecting in there or you can't seem to suck all the air out at start up. the problem is if air keeps collecting in there it will shut it down and have the possibility of flooding the DT.
What pump are you using? and whats the head on it?

sc0rp_xiii

It is a "Quiet One 4000" can get more info on it when I get home. It has a flow rate of 1017 G/hr. It is one a friend gave to me and I think I need closer to 1500 g/hr. The pump sits in the bottom of my wet/dry and pumps about 4' back up to the tank through 3/4" tubing.
I will take some updated pics tonight but the tank and equip can be seen here.

turningtim

OK I just checked flow for the 4000 and at 4' w/o anything else and 3/4" line you're only getting 628 gph, if you move up to 1" line you'll get a touch over 700gph. So either a bigger pump or throddle back that one and use only one U-tube. I think you're right not enough flow to keep the tubs flowing.......
What else do you have on the return line? Elbows, shut-offs etc?

sc0rp_xiii

with a 4', 1" return line how much flow would I need from the pump? I have been reading and other overflows like the one I have flow from 1000-1200 g/hr. I am planning on putting a protein skimmer in the wet/dry with a tee junction off the return line from the pump. I think I will need a pump around 1500 g/hr if not more. What would be recommended?

turningtim

You saying to fed the skimmer or run the skimmer. IMHO, either way is really not the way you want to go. If you get a recirc style skimmer you can fed it from the OF and then run it with a another pump. It also can be run outside the sump.
Each 1" drain line will give you 600gph. If you had 950+ at the tank you'd be fine. If it where a 4' straight shot a mag 12 or 1200gph pump would work with 1" returns.....

sc0rp_xiii

so would upgrading to the Quiet One 5000 and 1" lines be advisable? Are they a reputable pump? They are the ones the LFS are pushing. I see the Rio 32HF for sale on this site and for what the Quiet One 5000 costs, I could get the 32HF and a powerhead...

sc0rp_xiii

Tank pic

Overflow only halfway filling up

Hang on unit as viewed from side

Hang on unit as viewed from above

U tube not filling all the way

trigger11

You had mentioned that your return pipe is 3/4". What size are the overflow pipes connected from the overflow box to the wet/dry? 3/4" or a different size?
Definitely need more flow in any event. In looking at your pictures the one U-Tube that is not getting enough flow is dangerously close to losing it's syphon. If it does then the other U-Tube will not be able to keep up with your pump. Until you get the piping all figured out I would consider taking one U-Tube out and throttle down your return pump as another poster had said.

sc0rp_xiii

the lines dropping from the OF box to the wet/dry are just alittle larger then 1". Am debating on upgrading the pump today at the LFS but it would cost me an extra $60 as opposed to waiting and ordering the Rio 32HF from swf.com

sc0rp_xiii

good info to know, the Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One series is worth the extra $$ then? was asking above as to the reputation on the different pumps in question. My LFS pushes the Quiet One series.

turningtim

That avatar is going to give me convulsions!!!!!!

The following all at 4' vert head (nothing else)
QO, 5000 = 912 gph
6000 = 1014 gph
mag 12 = 998 gph
This are from the -- calculator and from past experience this runs a bit low, So you're in the ball park.....