Non speicies specific Seahorse reef tank?

lizzy

Does anyone on here have a non speicies specific tank for thier seahorses? I would eventually love to be able to have a seahorse in my reef tank. (of course with only non stinging corals) Is it possible to do that and have a healthy seahorse?
Also how many of you keep fish with your seahorses? I know most people say dont but there are a lot of people out there that do it right?
Just gaining info/knowlegde for future use! Thanks!

veronicad

I THINK maybe it depends a little on what kind of seahorse you're looking into getting? I've heard many times that dwarf seahorses are best kept alone. Also, what exactly your current tank setup includes. Many here have posted info on seahorse tankmates. If I can find the thread, I just saw a post on docile tankmates.....If I figure out where it is (If you took the time to read through all the threads in the from the last few days I think you'd find it) I'll post a direction for you.

lizzy

yes i did look at it...but it says that clownfish would be okay with seahorses...that they MIGHT get to be a prob when they get bigger but everyone on here says not to put clownfish with seahorses?
is that correct? it's a little confusing.....if you get what i mean

Look on {EDIT}...they just revamped the list of safe tankmates....It's not a good idea for anything but snails with dwarves , but I also keep a 60g with kuda and soft corals- leathers and briarieum...and 2 fire fish , a watchman goby and citrine goby...every one gets along [ although my citrine thinks he's a seahorse and "hitches" with his tail...lol...even sleeps with them at night

poniegirl

What are you considering?
I have personal experience (entirely pleasant) keeping seahorses with other fish that would tend to inhabit the same areas in a natural setting. Research and common sense is a great guide.
My tomato clown dislikes my SW Mollys but the mandarinfish is allowed to share "her spot", as were the seahorses.
The smaller wrasse are fine tankmates.
IME, large, open water fish should be avoided, unless the tank is of a size that allows all fish to have abundant
natural havens.
Research the natural oceanographic habitat of your choice of tankmates and consider your own tank.
For example, a 55 has definite limitations due to volume and length. I would not consider a tang of any kind. They are not "reef dwellers". Seahorses of most species do well with a reef atmosphere.

lizzy

Thank you so much for your information! I have a 65 gal tank and I just got my list put together...i know that thier might be some problems with it...and I put it together not thinking about a seahorse but...the more i read about them the more i would like to get one...so why not try to make my tank seahorse friendly right???
lol. anyways...this is what I had on my list I know I will prob have to make some adjustments but let me know what you think! Thanks so much! Liz
Okay here we go...
2 Ocelleris Clowns
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Raccon or Copperband Butterfly
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Sixline Wrasse
and then of course if everything works out whatever kind of seahorse I would eventually decide on if I decide to add one...or two....since i've read that they do better in pairs....quick question. Do seahorses have to be kept in pairs of male/female or say would they be just as happy if it was two females or two males?? just cuz I dont know if i could handle fry and I would hate to see them all just die!!
okay well...Thanks again!

teresaq

Yes they can be kept in one --- pairs, Two females would be better then two males only because males sometimes have pouch problems.
As far as your fish, The only things i can see is making sure your horses get enough to eat. You may have to train them to a feeding dish so you can see what they are eating, and feed your fish at the other end of the tank.
also reread the tank mate list. Each item has a number by it. Clowns are a 3
The 3's are a bit of a gamble, but work in some cases; watch them with care and be prepared to relocate

lizzy

Awesome, Thanks Teresa! I was thinking that I might set up another small tank for if thier are any problems so I could move things around if need be. I have a ten gal sitting around.....I was thinking though...that my clowns only stay on one side of the tank....(they have the whole thing to themselfs!) so I was thinking that I could put a whole ton of hitching posts on the other side of the tank and maybe there wouldnt be a prob....
i dunno just a thought....but never the less...always be prepared right? Okay so now if i do decide to add a seahorse what order should I put it into the tank...(does that make sence?? lol) Should I put it in last? or what?

lizzy

Oh and I wanted to say...you guys are a lot nicer in this forum than the people on the other forums...your not discouraging at all...You make it an enjoyable experience to want to try something new. Just wanted to say Thank You. (oh and suzy when (yes i know WHEN) I feel ready I will get a male okay?)
(i've been reading.....)

zeke92

i have 2 mollies and a watchman goby...so i THINK that makes it non species tank =p
i have only a couple tiny kenya trees when it comes to corals tho. i think it would be easy to make a tank yeah

reef_dart21

well i dont have seahorses but my pipefish does fine with a
sixline wrasse
firefish goby
2 green chromis
clownfish
lmb
enginer goby
mandrin goby
sea urchin
serpant star fish
fire shrimp