noob questions (sorry)

kb3131

Hey guys (and girls), I've been researching saltwater tanks for about 2 weeks now and I am going to start one pretty soon. I have a few questions though before i start. I currently have a 28 gallon bowfront tank with a HOB filter (is that good enough for a saltwater?). I have had it set up as a freshwater for a while and was wondering if i need to change the filter before I start my new tank. I also plan on getting live rock for the tank as well, but dont think i want any coral. I was wondering if i would need a protien skimmer, because the guy at the LFS told me i wouldnt have to have one. I also was wondering if I should use airstones or not because i already have an air pump and such. Last, what type of background would you reccomend. I think a black one will do well but...
ok thanks.

colourmop

if you have enough live rocks(they are the biological filter, if you dont have enough liverocks, a HoB filter wont do much), that filter wont really matter (unless you dont change it often and become a nitrate factory) i think you should change the filter material before you start the saltwater, because the bacteria from salt water are different from those freshwater's. also, you dont 'have to have' a skimmer, but 1 will help greatly (your LFS prob have 1 in the back, if they got saltwater)
hope those helps ^^

sign guy

Originally Posted by kb3131
Hey guys (and girls), I've been researching saltwater tanks for about 2 weeks now and I am going to start one pretty soon. I have a few questions though before i start. I currently have a 28 gallon bowfront tank with a HOB filter what kind? (is that good enough for a saltwater?). I have had it set up as a freshwater for a while and was wondering if i need to change the filter before I start my new tank yes and wash it out. I also plan on getting live rock for the tank as well, but dont think i want any coral. I was wondering if i would need a protien skimmer, because the guy at the LFS told me i wouldnt have to have one You dont have to have one ( i dont ) but they work wonders and I recamend them . I also was wondering if I should use airstones or not because i already have an air pump and such They can stress the fish out I would it in the equipp. closet. Last, what type of background would you reccomend. I think a black one will do well but...
ok thanks.
I think black makes the fish pop out more its my fav.
Also have read up on cycling your tank?

kb3131

sweet, thanks guys, and yes i am currently reading up on cycling the tank, just getting equipment questions outta the way first. just gotta get enough money to buy the LR. Regular sand and crushed coral are good for substrate right?

colourmop

NO CRUSHED CORAL!
it will become a nitrate trap after a while, lot people used CC as substrate then regret later and it is a pain in the butt to change from CC to LS.
use live sand :p
or you could get sopme live sand and some regular sand(make sure you know they wont emit weird stuffs in your tank) and the live sand will bring the dead back to live!

sign guy

sweet, thanks guys, and yes i am currently reading up on cycling the tank, just getting equipment questions outta the way first. just gotta get enough money to buy the LR. Regular sand and crushed coral are good for substrate right?
regular sand is fine but cc is alot of work to keep the levels down

cgrant

If it was me I would be doing something like this.
50lb bag of live sand for your substrate
~ 50 lbs of live rock
atleast a 10 gallon sump, Whatever fits under you tank!
~300 gph return pump, bigger if your going reef
1 good power head
if your tank is not drilled...a overflow box & all tubing w/return
a good master test kit
heater if you dont already have one
lighting (depends on what you want to keep)
good skimmer
I think thats about it, it adds up quick!
that should be good to get your tank started up and cycling and should give you a good solid tank!

colourmop

yeah, i learned this the bad way: if you want to buy a ## gal reef tank, make sure you have atleast 10 times the money for that tank! because the tank is actually 1 of the cheap thing xD

kb3131

1 good power head
Could you explain what these do?

sign guy

1 good power head
Could you explain what these do?
Forgot to say welcome to swf.com
A overflow box is a h.o.t. box that via gravitational pull will pull water from your display tank down to your sump.
A sump is an extra tank under your dt that can house additional equipp. ie. skimmer uv fuge heater ect ect ect.
then you need a pump to draw the water to the dt from the sump. A 300 gph (gallon per hour ) pump will provide you with enough flow for the corals
And a power head is just a small pump in your dt that moves water around in your tank creating more flow.

kb3131

I know this is going to sound bad, but do you think i could get away with not having a sump and a protien skimmer? I might be able to get a skimmer a little down the road if nessesary but I won't be able to do a sump because I have no room for the extra tank and pipes and such. Also, should I put the LR in first, then fill the tank with water then sand? or what order should I do it in. Im worried the sand would sit on top of the LR if i do it that way. Thanks a bunch.

sign guy

I know this is going to sound bad, but do you think i could get away with not having a sump and a protien skimmer? I might be able to get a skimmer a little down the road if nessesary but I won't be able to do a sump because I have no room for the extra tank and pipes and such. Also, should I put the LR in first, then fill the tank with water then sand? or what order should I do it in. Im worried the sand would sit on top of the LR if i do it that way. Thanks a bunch.
sand rock water and no its not nes. but I would at least get a hot skimmer