Noobie from athens, ga

jenkins2212

Well now that i think ive read almost every post for noobies on here i thought i should go ahead and create an account. Starting my first tank this up coming weekend! First question, if its a fish only tank do i still need 1lb lr for every gallon?
So im sure ill have plenty of questions!!!!!

Looking for other hobbiests near athens

eugenez_21

generaly no but i would put some in so the fish can hide and get away. U dont have to put 1lb per gal. Anyway LR would help with cycling ur tank and speed that up for ya.
Ask ALL ur questions. LISTEN TO THE PROS ON HERE INSTEAD OF UR LFS( local fish store).

jenkins2212

thanks for the quick reply!!!!! There is only one real lfs and they're so high i cant wait to find somewhere else to spend my money
So what about say .5lb live rock, mixed with base rock? And does live sand amount to anything? Also this is with a good clean up crew. And will the clean up crew do ok without fish at first?

seasalt101

ok i think you need some clear thinking here 1st off what are the chances of this staying a fowlr tank, after time most hobbiest tend to want corals and lr and color and activity and this is why it is an expensive hobby so what size tank are you getting the first time, i say this because in a year or so you will want bigger in my case i went from a 29 to a 150, you will need a good skimmer regardless you will want or need 1lb or more per gallon are you going with a sump/fuge yes ls is benefiscial what type of filtration? do not use crushed coral bad newbie mistake do not use a ug filter how much flow are you going after? you will need a hospital tank? ok enough for now but after you answer those questions there will be more oh the book the conscientous marine aquariust is a must...tobin

vpotts28

Originally Posted by jenkins2212
Well now that i think ive read almost every post for noobies on here i thought i should go ahead and create an account. Starting my first tank this up coming weekend! First question, if its a fish only tank do i still need 1lb lr for every gallon?
So im sure ill have plenty of questions!!!!!

Looking for other hobbiests near athens

Welcome, glad to see a fellow Georgian here. This site is unbelievable for grasping the saltwater hobby. I've learned everything here. You can also visit atlantareefclub.org. It will give you a better idea of the different fish stores in the area. Do remember that they are in the business of making money. So research all you can here. Don't let them persuade you into buying things you don't really need. You have a wealth of knowledge here at your finger tips. Good luck, you will be addicted before to long.
GO DAWGS!!

eugenez_21

yep U WILL BE ADDICTED TO SALTWATER ONCE U GET STARTED NO WAY OUT OF IT.
Invest in the largest tank possible if ur serious about these fish the bigger the tank the more stuff and fish u can get id say a good starter tank would be 90 u can go smaller but in a 75g u wont be able to keep tangs those fish are cool and ull end up wanting one so go with something big. (smaller then 55 arent that great for saltwater if ur going to keep more then 10 mid. sized fish.)
get a 20g or so for a hospital tank
get a refragmeter(spelling) instead of the hydometer ull be happier
get the best stuff possible dont get some ***** that is going to break on ya do it once the 1st time.

jenkins2212

Wallet is a decent size
But im starting with a 20 gallon bow that i will use as a hospital tank later, which is why i dont want to start any kind of reef or anything like that. I just thought a 20 gallon would be nice to start off with!
So i just have the tank now so everything else is still on the table!
heater
skimmer
filter
sand or live sand
live rock
etc
etc
Any help on these items, and if anyone knows anyone selling used stuff or anything like that. Im in no rush! I just want to take things slow and get a good start!
Thanks again for all the feedback!!!!

vpotts28

Originally Posted by jenkins2212
Wallet is a decent size
But im starting with a 20 gallon bow that i will use as a hospital tank later, which is why i dont want to start any kind of reef or anything like that. I just thought a 20 gallon would be nice to start off with!
So i just have the tank now so everything else is still on the table!
heater
skimmer
filter
sand or live sand
live rock
etc
etc
Any help on these items, and if anyone knows anyone selling used stuff or anything like that. Im in no rush! I just want to take things slow and get a good start!
Thanks again for all the feedback!!!!

Check out the classified section here, there will be some used items on the site I recommended above. Just make sure that you research the equipment, make sure you can't get a brand new one for $10-20 more than the person selling the used equipment for. If you buy a light fixture make sure the bulbs are newer, that way you won't have to buy bulbs, which can get pricey.

eugenez_21

use live sand stay away from crushed coral i have some and hair algea tends to grow on it. A 20g is okay for a start
Its just that when ppl want a fish only tank they tend to go for the big and color full fish (tangs ,buterflies, triggers) but these fish need a min of 90 but u will be okay with damsels, clowns, etc........... yea theres some good deals on the classified forum but i perfer new equipment cause u dont really now how the equipment was treated when buying from ppl.

appaloosa1

just saw this! I'm in athens, i have some kenya trees if you would like one. Don't buy them from AO, because I'm the one selling to them!

fishkiller

Originally Posted by Appaloosa1
just saw this! I'm in athens, i have some kenya trees if you would like one. Don't buy them from AO, because I'm the one selling to them!
How long have you been going there?