Normal??.... Trates went up

black cobra

So I have had my 75G for 5 weeks now. Went thru the cycle and last Friday (13th) I added 2 Clowns, Torch Coral, Neon Green Shrooms, and some green polyp coral. I have about 110lbs. of LR and about 80lbs. of LS.
Also an Aqua C Remora Pro PS. My Wet/Dry consists of Bioballs, followed by some LR rubble/Mineral Mud/Chaeto.
So Friday I tested my water everything good.
PH = 8.2
Am.=0
Trites=0
Trates=5
Alk=Nrml.
Cal.=450
S.G=1.025
Temp.=78
Re-tested everything today. Everything the same except for Trates.... They have jumped from 5ppm to 20ppm. Is that a result of the new bio-load? I plan on doing a 10% water change today but I just wanted to make sure something like this is normal when adding new live stock to a fairly new tank?

salt life

I don't think adding 2 clowns to a 75g would make it increase like that but I could be wrong, was your live rock cured when you added it or did you cure it with your sand durin the cycle? you could also have some die off from your chaeto since your tank is so new, might have released some stuff back into the water, only reason I say it might be the chaeto is because I bought some and put it in my fuge and it has been dieing ever since and has made my trates go up a little bit but no more than 20ppm

black cobra

LR was cured. Chaeto has been in there quite some time now so I dont think its the problem.
What is the max. Trates before it is absolutely toxic to corals?

salt life

Originally Posted by BLACK COBRA
http:///forum/post/2987915
LR was cured. Chaeto has been in there quite some time now so I dont think its the problem.
I don't keep corals so I don't wanna give you an answer and be wrong...
but IMO if you can keep them at 20ppm or less then I'd say you'll be fine. with your fuge and regular water changes, im sure you can keep them low.

jerryatrick

http:///forum/post/2987915
I have been told by some experienced reefers that their corals survived in tanks with nitrates in the 100ppm range. Now this was not over an extended period of time. I would do a 10% water change every other day until you get the nitrates lower.
Not sure if this is related but I commeneted in another thread about how often you should feed phyto. Personally I think you are adding way to much especially to a new tank that just doesn't have enough livestock to feed on it.

geoj

http:///forum/post/2987894
So I have had my 75G for 5 weeks now. Went thru the cycle and last Friday (13th) I added 2 Clowns, Torch Coral, Neon Green Shrooms, and some green polyp coral. I have about 110lbs. of LR and about 80lbs. of LS.
Also an Aqua C Remora Pro PS. My Wet/Dry consists of Bioballs, followed by some LR rubble/Mineral Mud/Chaeto.
So Friday I tested my water everything good.
PH = 8.2
Am.=0
Trites=0
Trates=5
Alk=Nrml.
Cal.=450
S.G=1.025
Temp.=78
Re-tested everything today. Everything the same except for Trates.... They have jumped from 5ppm to 20ppm. Is that a result of the new bio-load? I plan on doing a 10% water change today but I just wanted to make sure something like this is normal when adding new live stock to a fairly new tank?
I have to say most likely due to the additions and possible new set-up may need a little more time to develop…