not a happy clamper

valgae

my clam is not happy! i moved my tank and when i pulled his rock out he let go of it. no biggie because i didnt want him on it anyway. any suggestions?

valgae

abyssal threads not torn just some centralized bleaching on that one side. i'm thinking that it couldn't fully open in the rock it used to be on. its doubled in size since i've gotten it, been in the same spot over 2 years. what should i do to improve condition? i have it in the sand just cuz i didnt want to mess with it too much i know it should be up in the rocks.

D

dshin1

i had to move to a new place and unfortunately i had to disturb my tank. i had my clam on a live rock near the top, after the move it had detached and i put him(don't know why i called it a him) on the sandbed. it seemd to be doing better than ever. been 5 months. i don't think it need to be on a rock, i think it just needs a firm stable ground.

candycane

That's localized, might even become generalized bleaching. There is something that is up with the water conditions or tank members. What are all the inhabitants and tank parameters? Temp and lighting would most likely be the most important.

valgae

temp 80 amm-0 trite-0 trate10 pH8.0 under 14k 250 mh used to be at about 16" down from light but now more like 2 feet cuz its in the sand bed. i only have a tang and a GSM. i've had this clam for 2 years and it's been in the same spot, but i think its from not being able to open up all the way. the spot it was in was a large indent in the rock and i think it just got too big.i'll try to find a pic of the old tank.

candycane

Was that one side of the clam shadowed and that's why you moved it? Cause if the right side there wasn't covered by something, that is about one of the oddest bleaching patterns I have ever seen. Zooxanthellae repopulate extremely quickly. The issue is that it is a crocea clam. Once they start to bleach, it is usually hard to stop.
Over the last two months, I have formed my opinion that the majority of croceas should be kept out of the hobby - like never allowed in. Croceas just have this extremely narrow very constricted ZTS system (where the Zooxanthellae are held to feed the clam). When I look at it under magnification, it is like trying to squeeze 5000 people into a 400 person apartment complex and give them 3 boxes of cereal to eat.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=325791

valgae

i moved it cuz i got a new tank and took the rock out of water it detached on it's own. it wasn't covered by anything but, was attached sideways to the rock. the right side you see in the pic was parallel w/ the side walls of the aquarium the other side layed parallel w/ sandbedand recieved plenty of light. i've been feeding phyto every other day w/ 3 liter bottle over him. is there anything else i can do?

candycane

Stop spot feeding it for one. Also depends on what phyto you are feeding? With most of the posts on here as you can see, I like Reed Mariculture (leaned that way over the last month). Basically a good nanoplankton, microplankton and macroplankton. Two Little Fishies makes a product called Zoplan (or however it's spelled), that has an amazing variation of all three planktons - I've been studying that food A LOT over the last 6 months or so.
Other then that just try to keep your water parameters decent, the amount of lighting it is getting, good, and keep your temp stable. You can kind of only sit back and wait. I don't see any reason it WOULDN'T make a turnaround and go back to normal though.