Not another "high-temp" question..

gregghia

My heater in my tank is all over the board but my tank stays at 84 year round. I played with the heater too much until tonight i realized that i just need a new one. Anyway it seems like there are alot of questions and theories to temp and what is good and bad. I have had good luck with the reef for two years with it at 82-84.
My question is what is the risk, reward or issues for keeping a tank at higher temp?
Biologically, Chemically, growth, etc....
The one thing I have noticed is my corals just do not grow. They always look healthy. I know my lighting and flow is good but the other variables I am not sure, temp, consistency, etc. I also feel my water quality is ok but could be better.
Anyway over time what is high temp doing? Anyone? Do corals do better at a lower temp?

natclanwy

I have read that RTN can occur at temps of 84deg and up. I believe most people keep their tanks between 80-82deg and the recomended range is from 76-83deg. The high temps may be contributing to the lack of growth in your corals, you could try lowering your temp and see if it makes a difference.
I have had the best success with the Ehiem Jager heaters.