NOT LIVE ROCK

cathy

I LIVE 5 MIN. FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO & THERE'S LOTS OF ROCK NOT IN THE WATER BUT ON THE SAND IT HAS SHELL IN IT & CORAL COULD THESE BE USED IN MY TANK??

2boyz

if you going to use it for decoration only u can.there probably isn't anything alive in it.i would soak it in a highly deluted bucket of hot water w/bleach for about 1/2 hour or so then rise real weel with fresh water before putting it in your tank.i've done this a number of times.

cathy

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN MY TANK RIGHT NOW BUT 5 DAMSELS SO I DON'T HAVE MUCH TO LOSE

Cathy,
I used to collect alot of rock on San Diego beaches and created quite a nice masterpiece with it. Here is an idea for you....
Collect your rock and (this is what I did, not the only way to do it right), boil it for about 5 minutes. Then rinse it off really well and arrange it in your tank. Once you feel comfortable with the layout, spend a few bucks and buy some live rock and add it on top of your rock structure. This will, over time, spread life to your entire rock structure. One advantage to living by the beach...I miss it.
Hope it helps :)

cathy

THANKS SOUNDS GOOD, TALK ABOUT SHELL SHOCK WOW MOVING FROM SAN DIEGO TO MINN.I COULD NEVER I LOVE GOING OUT IN A T-SHIRT EVERYDAY, EVEN ON X-MAS.

Don't rub it in, hehe
I often check FedEx prices to cart my butt home but they claim i'd have to pay a ton of money to cover any water damage my tank might cause <g>
Good luck on the rock, just remember to take your time.....this hobby demands patience and the more you have, the more rewarding the end result will be.

crispcritr

cathy, any chance i can talk you into sending me a pic of some of the rocks you find? thanks
tserna@yahoo.com