Not my kind of water change...

microman2k

i get a call from my brother earlier today saying there is water seeping into our office..so my parents rush in thinking a water line has busted...
it actually turns out to be my 55 gallon (my room is directly above our home office)..my skimmer for some odd reason decided to leak water...it does this before..i lost about 7 gallons of water.
anyone else have this kind of problem or know what to do? the skimmer is a red sea prizm deluxe. it has done this before..and it makes me reluctant about turning it back on..

teen

send it back and get a refund. my skimmer overflows a little too, but only when im adding make up water and i just have to turn it down a little.
does it have a hole in it or something, or it just randomly overflows?

microman2k

well it randomly does it...like...this is what might have done it...
i've been running it all week after i emptied it last week..and its been running dry..not pulling anything out..so i've been slowly increasing the water intake..with no results..and today as normally i increased it...watched it for awhile..and it was still running dry..so i was like i'll just leave it alone...
this is just very frusterating b/c it has done this in the past..and it always goes thru my floor into the ceiling of dad's office

microman2k

well i read somewhere that prizms were one of the best skimmers...maybe not as good as a aqua c remora but..still good...thats y i bought it in the first place..and b/c it doesnt have the big collection cup on the top like the others...

zman1

Not sure if this is an option for you. You could try and drill a hole in the top portion of the cup and run a line back down to the tank. I assume it's a HOB.
So if there is a run away it will flow back into the tank rather than the floor.
I drill my ASM collection cup and run a line to a milk jug to make it easier to empty. However, I keep the milk jug above the sump in case of a run away. The two items that have caused mine to run away before - epoxy and put a rock back in that I scrubbed. Did something die or someone dose an additive, medication?
The configuration has changed a little but it's still over the sump.

eaglewonj

I have a prizm deluxe and found that it had a little pinhole leak after a few days on the side where the two panels joined. It was leaking one drop at a time, a drop every few seconds.
A bead of superglue i think it was up the joint took care of it. It was on the outside so i don't fear any contamination from the glue.