Not new, but what is going on with all this algae?

badasstang

I have had a saltwater tank for 2+ years, about a year ago, I moved and set up my tank again. But I was going to wait until I restocked it, and within about a month it got a LOT of algae. I just let it keep going, thinking maybe it is doing a cycle of some sort. Then I tend to it, scrape it down, left the lights off for about a month, still was there, and grew. Tried lowering the salinity hoping maybe that would atleast kill it off, nothing. Did NUMEROUS water changes with no luck. I have dinked around with it for the past year, and just am about ready to give up. My other tank, is doing just fine, not a bit of out of the ordinary algae. This algae is just like hair, and keeps growing. There is not a living thing in there besides the rock and sand, maybe I need some invertebrates? I attached some pictures, hopefully someone has a treatment for me, thanks.

badasstang

Last one (closer up)
While here, anyone know how to take good pictures, in the lcd is looks great, when it takes the picture just looks like there is a light being flashed in front of it, and I have the flash turned off!

ross

First thing i would do is a big water change with RO water. Adding a couple more powerheads will help. Maybe a fish that will eat the algae or maybe an emard crab. You could also turn the lights off for a few days or maybe even a week.

ryand

ross budy he had them off for a month already.. get some snails like mexican turbos they will get rid of most of it. and also try a lawn mower blenny ot yellow tang. the best thing to do would be to look around the sight and see what other types of animals eat it

gilpil

Is your aquarium now set up next to a window? Possible extra light may be causeing an algae bloom.

badasstang

It is not in direct sunlight, it is against the wall with the window. I have been using normal water which I have since set up, which is also the same that I use for my other tank. I can try the RO water, but not sure who sells it around here? I never thought about the lawnmower blenny, but that is a good idea, I think I will go with the snails first, and go with a blenny, if that goes well then go with the yellow tang. Thanks for everyone's fast input!
And you think 3 powerheads in a 38 gallons isn't sufficient enough?

ohioreef

My LMB doesn't seem to even touch my hair algae.....I just put in a phosphate reactor and it appears that maybe the algae might be starting to settle down....I hope....

K

kpatrick

Have you tested your phosphate levels?
You could try something like Phosban to help eliminate the hair algea you currently have and then try and figure out where the problem is so it doesnt return.

saltynewbie

your tap water is most likely the problem. if you can eliminate the input of phosphates by the use of RO/DI water, you can start to get the problem under control. this website sells RO/DI units in the drygoods section. check those out and find one that would work best for your needs.

clarkiiclo

Blennys, emerald crabs, reef hermits and a good tang or foxface. Try to pull all the algae that you can by hand. That way your crew has a chance to get it under control.
I would buy and RO unit to get your phosphates under control. That is the souce of all evil.

thedraven

I wouldnt recommend a blenny for your tank, as I have one and he has never touched hair algae. Thats trying to solve a problem by presenting another. What works for one hobbyist, may not work for another. Instead of ending up with an unwanted or possibly starving fish, look at your water quality instead. Chances are you have high levels of phosphate and nitrates. Use phosban or Rowaphos to control the levels and switching to RO water can be extremely helpful. Keep in mind that city water suppliers might add different chemicals or additives to the water during different seasons. Good luck.

clarkiiclo

I had a hair algae problem. I have 2 blennies and black sailfin and a lawnmower. They never fight and the erradicated the hair algae. They wont eat algae if there is other food to eat. That may be why yours didnt.
RO water is always better than tap water. I agree that alot of cities put many different things into drinking water that are terrible for aquariums of all kinds.
A phosphate sponge is a good idea too.

thedraven

Originally posted by thedraven
What works for one hobbyist, may not work for another.

Ive heard of people who buy certain fish to 'erradicate' this or that, and the fish ends up starving. Certain fish will accept certain types of food, certain ones wont. Whos to say? A perfect example is someone buying a mandarin who happens to eat prepared foods. This is quite rare, but that person advertises the fact on the swf message board and encourages people to buy that fish. So folks go out and buy mandarins who slowly starve to death. Not to say youre wrong to recommend a lawnmower blenny, my point is what works for you wont work for everyone. My lawnmower didnt eat hair algae from the very beginning, only algae on my glass, despite that fact that he was becoming visibly thinner (starving). After maybe two or three weeks, he finally started accepting flakes and is now doing fine.

clarkiiclo

You are right what works for one may not work for someone else.
That is why this is a forurm. So people can get answers to their questions. That way they can make an informed(hopefully) decision.
Having more that one opinion is a good thing I think.
I will have to get some pics of my blennies. They always look like they are going to explode. My lawnmower really likes any algae- on the glass or rock.
The sailfin likes the rocks better and both will eat flake.
Dont want to make anyone mad.