not panicing...at least yet

dopey33

I've been on vacation for a few days while i was away a family member took on the responsibility of turning the lights on and feeding my fish. When i came back today everything seemed normal until i took a closer look.
I noticed my perc has some small white flecks on him, i wouldn't say all over because their not real noticeable but they are spread out all over him. I just got a peek at my Gobie and he's got the same thing, but neither appear any different.
Just before i left i did a small water change and added some orange snails and everything seemed fine, i asked my feeder and she said that she didn't notice anything.
My tank has ben up and running since late may, i've only had the firefish and the clown about 2 weeks, and i had them quarantined at the pet shop for a week before that while i fished out my blue devil. All my levels are normal, and have been since i added the fish. aside from the 2 fish and the snail i also have 2 margarita snails as well as 2 Cerith snails, 2 Nassarius snails, 2 mexican red leg hermits, 2 blue leg hermits and an un identified urchin.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sound like ich to me. The QT at the fish store won't be effective. For one, 2 wks is not long enough to QT. Two: The fish store share filtration, nets, etc. Everything there is contaminated.
Hobbyist have to take responsiblity for ensuring their fish are well before putting them in the tank. QT is the answer.

dopey33

I had to go away again for work immediatly but i told the person watching my fish to keep an eye on them and if the dots got wrose to see my LFS...it was a very confusing couple of days.
anyways i got back this morning and the dots were gone and the fish dont look like anythings at all wrong.
does ich just go away like that?

dopey33

thats what i thought, i also noticed to small what looked like white tubes growing off my LR, as well as a fairly similar and it looks like his tails smaller...i cant tell for sure.
Ive also noticed some small lil coiled up things on my glass and the people i mentioned it to said thats no big deal, but i have noticed that a few of them have uncoiled.
Any suggestions on waht i can do to help my fishies...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What you are seeing on your tank and rock really isn't the issue. This is likely normal tank fauna.
What about the ich? Ich can "appear to" come and come....but also come back if not treated.