not sure where to start with lighting needed for inverts

krypton74

Hi everybody - again....
we have a 35 hex with a 17" bulb (that is about all i know) well the watts are 19W!! which is nothing, really... i would love to start stocking inverts and a few corals, but i am not sure where to start with lighting. i have done some research as to the types VHO, PC , and MH, but when it comes down to it, how do i know what is going to fit my tank? there are so many numbers and things that i have no idea what to order... did a google search and it might as well be in Italian!!
and what would y'all recommend for (wattage wise) for me if I want to take care of the corals and inverts?

jlem

I would go with a 96 watt powerquad retrofit kit from hellolights. It should fit and I believe that they cost under $100.00 :) You would be able to keep alot of different corals with that lighting
I just looked and they are $85.00. They are made by corallife

krypton74

What's a 50/50 light?
The prices are great on that site. thanks for the reference. I am checking it out now....
I would like to understand lights a bit better so if anyone knows of an online article or a great book chapter that will help me out, let me know.... I would appreciate it.

ty_05_f

A 50/50 bulb is have actinic and half white. If your not tight on money Mh would be a great option for that deep of a tank, plus you could keep alot more different types of corals.