not sure

kidreef

okay i was wanting to if i could keep a seahorse in a soon to be reef with a clown neon goby and yellow tang?

reefer545

Sorry bud, but its not a good idea to keep to seahorses with more aggressively feeding fish. they are best kept in species only tanks. They can be kept with pipefish, as they are also very slow feeders, plus they usually need live rotifers as food. Live rotifers are fairly easy to grow. Sorry.

reefer545

How long has your tank been running, as well how big is your tank? Dragonets need to eat ALL the time, and they primarily will eat your copepod population. So if your tank isn't larger than AT LEAST 30 gallons with like 40+ lbs of LR, the dragonet wont live very long. Sorry if I am shooting that idea down, but they are a very demanding fish which fish stores everywhere sell cheap adn probably tell ya that they should be fine.

kidreef

its 29g with bout 40lbs of lr and i am gonna order pods from here its and the tanks been up for three years

reefer545

Sounds possible, but you may be ordering pods all the time, as the 200 pods they sell you here can be devastated in a day or two at the most. A good way to keep the pod population up is to have a few Live Rock rubble piles that the fish and snails wont easily disrupt, so the pods can hide and breed. A BRAND NEW scouring sponge for your dishes that has been untreated and well rinsed will also work great. Put Live Rock rubble in your filter in place of your bio balls as they wont be needed when you switch to Reef. Those few things will give positive reinforcement to your pods level. Also, a bit of chaeto in your tank is good breeding ground (like the scouring pad)

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by kidreef
okay i was wanting to if i could keep a seahorse in a soon to be reef with a clown neon goby and yellow tang?

You could do it...I have done a set up similar....but you will need a 150 gallon tank to even consider it. Then there are certain precautions you will have to make not to mention a certain order the fish and other inhabitants would have to be placed in. The reef part is NOT an option for the most part. some corals and zoos would be fine, but nothing that stings absolutely not. I would recommend having the tank established for a year minimum. Also your flow rate would have to be dramatically lower than a typical reef to help the horses survive initially.
It can be done, but I DO NOT reccommend attempting this unless you have had horses before and understand their needs.