Not wanting to be rude th LFS owner.

beatlesfan

Ok myu LFS owner is VERY nice and helpful. He got me into FW and SW fish. The problem is i don't want to ask to watch the fish be fed..... and then it not eat and have to refuse to buy it. I want his help and do nott want to be rude. What can i do.

woolfe

Any fish store owner would be happy to show you his/her fish are eating and healthy. It isn't being rude to want to make sure your getting a fish that isn't going to die of starvation. If your not comfortable coming out and saying it that way, just say "would you mind feeding him/her for me so I can be sure it's full before I stress it out with the move".

Chasmodes

It's a good business practice for them. They should expect you to ask them to be fed if you are interested in purchasing a fish.
If they aren't willing to do so then perhaps they aren't the best LFS for you. It's not being rude, it's simply good business and shows that they care about you as the customer.

iluvswfish

IMO, It's not being rude especially considering how much these fish cost and the risk to other inhabitants if one is unhealthy or dies. Owners know it is part of the business. You better believe I asked to see my new emperor angel eat before I plunked down $75 for him. I do ask that they only feed a small amount so that the fish doesn't foul the bag with waste afterwards. For species that can be hard to get eating, I think it's just taking an unecessary risk not to see it eat.

sepulatian

You also don't have to make it sound as though you think he may be selling you a fish that won't eat (if you are nervous about asking). Sound interested in the fish and just ask to see him eat. You should definately find some way to feel comfortable asking. Don't buy a fish without making sure it is eating well. If the fish is healthy and eating actively he will want you to see the fish eat. If he looks at you like you are being rude, then the guy is hiding something from you. Bottom line, it is your money and your potential new pet.

I've been in and out of SW fish since 1974 and have bought many fish from the LFS. Most owners of LFS realize that we are just being conscientious buyers and not trying to be a pain in the posterior. The ones that don't have pretty well been weeded out, or will be very soon.
In all that time, I think I only had one person get offended when I asked to see the specimen fed. I don't remember, but I certainly think I didn't buy from them again.
I have had several times when the fish I was interested in did not eat. I would usually offer to pay for it and have them hold it for a period of time and go through the process again. Several times I would go back to find the fish did not survive, and a few times it would still not eat.
I for one am glad to be able to purchase livestock online with a guarantee. I feel that we not only get more selection than in years past, I think the quality of the livestock is much better now.
I imagine many of you are like me and can remember some of the practices we used to have. A lot of it makes my skin crawl now just thinking about it!
Chris

enriqueb

seriously. you really need to ask. i like the guy who owns the LFS near me too and didn't ask him to feed for the first few times because id ask him if the fish was eating and trusted him but once you lose a few fish you start to become a smarter buyer. it was dumb for me not to ask then and its better to ask and find out if its eating rather than to buy a fish and lose him in a week because he wont eat. it is a question that will save you money and possibly the feeling of losing a fish. if it doesn't eat in the store it is not going to eat for you, and its not a fish you want. id go as far as asking them to feed something other than brine shrimp. many fish will eat brine and not prepared foods. it is really important in my opinion to ask.

a sea k

I recently purchased two fish from my LFS that had just been released in thier tanks. Got them home and acclimated them to my tank. Neither fish ate and both were gone in three days. When I returned to the LFS the next week I told the owner what had happened,(I was not complaining just inquiring what he thought may have gone wrong) The very first question he asked was " did you ask to see the fish eat before you bought them?

1journeyman

Just say something like "I really like that one, can you feed it so I can make sure it's eating before I buy it?"
That's a very reasonable request.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Just say something like "I really like that one, can you feed it so I can make sure it's eating before I buy it?"
Yep
You HAVE to find a way that is comfortable to you to ask. Don't buy a fish without seeing it eat.

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Extremely reasonable. :)

thud

Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
Ok myu LFS owner is VERY nice and helpful. He got me into FW and SW fish. The problem is i don't want to ask to watch the fish be fed..... and then it not eat and have to refuse to buy it. I want his help and do nott want to be rude. What can i do.
It's not rude at all, you're concerned about what you're putting money into, I'd say it's your right.
You buy a car - you want to see it drive right?

farslayer

If I saw a car drive (by itself), I'd steer clear. Christine anyone?
BTW, my LFS removes fish which do not eat, he feeds them soon after putting them in the tank and would never be upset about feeding them for you. I'll ask which fish are eating, and he'll feed them to let me pick the one I want. I've seen him scoop fish out which refuse to eat. It's his reputation on the line, plus he has a five day guarantee.

leftyblite

The LFS near me usually offers to show me that the fish I'm interested in are eating before I buy them. This probably a good reason he has been in business for a long time and has a good reputation around here. I definitely would ask to see it eat. When I bought my puffer last year the first one I looked at wouldn't eat, so I had to go with a different one and it ate right away and he is very healthy now. :happyfish