'Nother Tank Dairy!

fretfreak13

Got my 29 up and running, so onto the next one! Right now this tank is running as a FW and is housing my Jack Dempsey. He’s outgrowing it, and will be going to my dad’s house when he upgrades his 20 gal cichlid tank to a 55. Until then, it gives me some time to plan out what I’m going to do with this tank. It’s a hex (dimensions 12 in high, 6 ¼ for the six sides) but I’m not sure how many gallons it holds. Hope it’s enough to even try to make a SW out of it. My guess by looking at it is that it’s a ten (I hope). Anyways, it was my first tank when I was four and I used it for breeding guppies. It has a fitted top with a built in light fixture and filter (though removable). I’ll draw a diagram below on photoshop since I don’t have a camera. I don’t know if I want to make a “reef” or not; I can’t update the lighting because it’s built in. Even if I put corals, they would only be pretty zoas and shrooms, but if the livestock I want to get will eat them then it’ll just be fish with LR. I’ll be drilling away from of the hood in the back that has no equipment to make room for a little skimmer and heater. In the tank, there will be about 1-2 inches of sand, and as much LR as I can fit along the backside while still leaving some ok swimming room. Maybe 10-15 lbs? How would you put a powerhead in a hex tank, too? Could I get one of the small, rotating ones? Otherwise, I can only imagine the flow smashing against one wall.I know I can’t put all these fish in here. Each boldface would be something different in the tank, if that’s what I decided on. Please don’t flame me because you think I’m trying to put ALL those fish in one tiny tank. I’m not, I know better. Also, in the CUC section, I’d like to put all of that in the same tank. Possible Fish Scenarios:
1 Fourline Wrasse
. It would be the only fish in the tank. Does anyone think it’ll get too big? This is my #1 choice at the moment.
2 Yellowtail Damsels
. Would be the only two fish in the tank.
1 Firefish Goby and 1 Yellow Clown Goby
Might be pushing it having them both, but I only figured I’d try cause the YCB is so tiny.
1 Maroon Clownfish
Again, would be the only fish in the tank. He might outgrow it, but if that’s the case then never mind this fishy.
1 Goby/Pistol pair
The tank is acrylic, does anyone think I’ll have trouble with the shrimp? Also, will the shrimp attack any of my inverts? I can only imagine it would, but I still want to check before I rule this out.
Possible CUC:

5-10 Hermits
definitely.
1 Mexican Turbo
definitely.
Sand Sifter Star
never had one, but I think I want one for this tank.
Brittle Star
Possibility, but I’m not sure.
Narci Snails?
I don’t know anything about them but I know a lot of people keep them. What do they do?
Harlequin Shrimp
I want two. Will they be harassed by any of the fish I posted above? Also, I know they eat starfish so are they expensive to feed? What kind of stars? Will they eat asterina stars, cause I have lots. Also, would they eat the sifter star I posted above? If so, would be ok to just have a sifter star to feed them and sift the sand, then replace it when it’s gone? How long with it last, do you think?
Sea Urchin?
I like them, but have never had one. Are they good to have as a member of the CUC? I really like the two (Blue and the Black and Red) on SWF.com.
Some sort of neat crab.
I’d rather have the little Harlequin shrimp over a crab in case it would bother them, so if that’s the case then no crab for me. If not, I would like to get a Sally Lightfoot, a Porcelain, or an Arrow. Would any of these get too big for a 10 gallon? Are any aggressive? Reef safe? Hurt the Harlequins?
Like I said, I might not do a reef at all. Just looking for info at this point. So, what do you guys think? Sorry for writing soooo much, and beware of my terrible drawings!

fretfreak13

Bump? I know it hasn't gone down the list far, but I'm really anxious to learn about this stuff and the thread's been up for hours.
Someone?

zacharyshorter

I have a terrific idea that you may really like, get one small (4-6" tall) volcano shaped rock and place it in the center and have a zoo garden on it. One fish or two very small fish. Fish examples would be a purple Firefish, a pair of Signal gobies (a.k.a.Fourwheel Drive gobies, a.k.a.Twinspot Gobies), Blackray or Whiteray Shrimp Gobie Pairs. Now when I say zoo garden I mean garden like the whole rock filled. I think you would have a really beautiful display.