nova extreme good or bad?

troy989

like the protein skimmer i got it with the tank i want some sps in the top and zoas in the botom is this light good or bad??

btldreef

Originally Posted by troy989
http:///forum/post/3158319
like the protein skimmer i got it with the tank i want some sps in the top and zoas in the botom is this light good or bad??
I have two 36" Nova Extremes on my 155G. Each light has two daylights, two actinics. I upgraded two of the actinics to WavePoints 460 True Actinic light, rather than the 420's that the fixture comes with and I LOVE them! I had just the one set on my 40G and it was almost too much light. Needless to say, I highly recommend this light.
How many lights does yours hold? What size tank again?
One suggestion I have is to replace all the bulbs and start with fresh ones unless you're positive you know how old those bulbs are. They're T5HO bulbs and should be replaces every 10-12 months. (Closer to the 10month range, the more SPS you have)

troy989

yea they are year old bulbs and theres 4 i dont have the money to replace them
but im selling my pw50 and ill probly have 300 doolars its a 90gallon

btldreef

Originally Posted by troy989
http:///forum/post/3158332
yea they are year old bulbs and theres 4 i dont have the money to replace them
but im selling my pw50 and ill probly have 300 doolars its a 90gallon
Well, they'll be okay while you're cycling and you can probably push them with some softies and LPS that don't need really intense light. I'd replace the daylights first.
It's a 48" light setup, right?
Should be fine, just keep the SPS near the top. I definitely noticed a difference with the SPS once I changed out two the actinics (you'd only have to change one). I may change out the others as well, but haven't decided yet. We keep all of our SPS no more than 16" from the light.

mx mr bean

i used to run a 36" nova extreme on my bowfront 46 Gallon and a 48" on my 90. They worked very well for my LPS. I waited to add in SPS until I upgraded to the Nova Extreme Pro. Plus my clam ended up dying in my 90 gallon when i had the nova extreme running. I suspect it was from not enough light.

lil.guppy

I have one on my 46bow and my birds nest is doing fantastic in the middle of the tank. I have all kinds of soft coral and zoanthids. I knew of someone who even had clams!
The only down fall is if you have alot of salt accumulation you have to clean the removable plastic protector or your loosing light. I do it about once every 2 weeks.
Other then that I love it!