nova extreme light...good or bad?

reefboy1994

my darn power compact light roke today! i need ot get a new light and i am looking at t5 fixtures. I am on a budget of under $300. is this a good fixture and if anyone has it can they PLEASE post a pic of their tank.

mr_x

what are you putting it over? the nova extreme is not a bad fixture for a smaller tank. how deep is your tank?

reefboy1994

My tank is 110 gallons but all I have in it right now is fish and softies and the only corals I will be keeping are sodties

nycbob

if u r on a budget, spend just a bit more and get the nova pro. it produces much better lights.

mr_x

the difference between the two is the reflector. there is a single reflector in the extreme, while the pro has an individually contoured reflector, which is better.
what length fixture are you searching for? is this a 110 extra high? if so, i would really try to get the best light i could. i don't think the extreme is going to penetrate 30" of water.
i would go with a used halide fixture. 2 x 250 watters with actinic supplement. then later, if you want some heavier stuff, it will be no problem. you'll have the light.

ophiura

I tend to agree but I will ask what sort of PC fixture you had, and did you like it? Because if you liked the PC overall in terms of coral growth...then you will probably be OK with the extreme. However I do agree individual reflectors are superior and ideally metal halides would open the most options.

reefboy1994

the tank is 21 inched deep with a 4-5 inch sandbed. that means the light only has to penetrate 16-12 inches. would i be able to keep acros and montiporas with the extreme if i keep them on the top of the tank?

mr_x

Originally Posted by reefboy1994
http:///forum/post/2888002
the tank is 21 inched deep with a 4-5 inch sandbed. that means the light only has to penetrate 16-12 inches. would i be able to keep acros and montiporas with the extreme if i keep them on the top of the tank?
yes. i believe so.
what are the dimensions of this 110?

mr_x

reefboy..above you stated that the tank was 21" deep with a 4-5 inch sandbed., and after that you said that it's 29 inches deep. which one is it?
are you penetrating 12-16 inches like you said, or is it more? the depth of the tank is what is most important, not how mnay gallons it holds.

reefboy1994

I'm sorry that I stated twodifferent depths but when I got out the tape measure it was 29 inches. I thought it was only 21 inches. All of my corals are on the top half of the aquarium tho

moondog

I have the Nova Extreme, not a bad light, but I was searching for a new light, and I came accross the Nova Extreme SLR, not as nice as the pro, but I beleive the difference between the two is the SLR has individual light reflectors. Can't post links, but try a search on the SLR.

moprint

I would google 48" solar t5 4x54 watt. This fixture has individual reflectors and they are on sale for $169 you could get two and they both would fit on your tank.

nordy

I have the pro unit on my 55 and have my sps up near the top of the tank and they do great, so yeah I think it would be good for your tank even though it's deeper-just place your sps at the top.

wangotango

IMO even the Nova PRO doesn't have the "umph" to reach the bottom of a tank that size.
You might want to consider an Icecap retro.
-Justin