Nova Extreme Pro question

breeze

i just got the 48 inch fixture and it says do not put under a canopy
and guess what i have a custom stand with an attached canopy that has an extra 4 inch fan in it on one side and a three inch vent hole on the other
So does anyone have this light under a canopy and have you had any issues?

fats71

I would imagine under a canopy your going to not disipate the heat that the nova ep was designed to do... You are also probably looking at a fire in the making if that is the case overheating causing a arc and wham no more worries about your custom canopy as it will remove itself. You needed to buy a retro fit light which would have been much cheaper and you could have purchased a better system for it than the nova. If your interested in selling the nova ep I know a lady looking to buy one ( she doesnt have a canopy )

breeze

thank you for your input i was looking for someone that is using this fixture
and what retro fit light should i have gone with that is much cheaper than $350 and much better
please tell me because i must have missed it

nordy

I have one of those lights on my 55 gal tank and with the built in exhaust fans going, the top of the fixture stays at pretty much room temp. If you do put it under a canopy that has room for it be sure the intake and exhaust fans on your Nova arenot obstructed in any way. The nova has 2 3" ports on each end so your canopy must have at least that much, and preferably more, ventilation. If you do put the light under the canopy, carefully monitor temps for a good while to make sure it isn't getting hot.

breeze

thanks nordy
its been on for 4 hours now with the canopy closed and its not hot at all not even warm but i will keep watching it to see if it heats up

nordy

I didn't check the top of my Nova until I read your post-it's nice to know that the built-in fans are work that well!

fats71

Originally Posted by breeze
http:///forum/post/2548921
thank you for your input i was looking for someone that is using this fixture
and what retro fit light should i have gone with that is much cheaper than $350 and much better
please tell me because i must have missed it
TEK OR sunblaze the sunblaze was a grow light and they found it works on tanks as well and went into the tek, The sunblaze is the same thing just not as pretty and much cheaper.
The sunblaze is tek without all the fancy case etc for around 130 bucks,