Nova Extreme Pro questions

D

davidmwj

Hey All:
I recently purchased the 6X54 Nova Extreme Pro for my 90 gallon tank. I've seen a lot of threads from 2008 suggesting that the bulbs be replaced. Is that still the case? I like the the color that I get from the 3 12k and 3 460 that were included with the unit. Is there really a difference between the inlcuded bulbs and after market ones?
Also, my last unit was an Orbit which had moon lights. I'm finding that I'm really missing the moon lights. Does anybody have experience attaching them to this unit. I tried to search the board, but couldn't find anything.
Lastly, does anyone have any idea what i could sell my old Orbit for. I tried a few sites including the big auction site, but I can't find any to compare to. It's 384 watt power compact with moonlights.
Thanks

slice

I also have a Nova Extreme Pro and everything I have read says to trash the stock bulbs. I have no idea myself, but I trust the advice I've read from multiple places and intend to change out my bulbs at first opportunity.
Jstdv8 also has stock bulbs in his Nova and is about to change them out. I look forward to his impression of how the new bulbs look as compared to the stock ones.
Oh, just remembered, some months ago, my LFS, when asked about bulbs, showed me the difference in PAR between some Current stock bulbs and ATI bulbs of similar age. The difference, according to his PAR meter, was dramatic.

D

davidmwj

Thanks for replying. Can you link me to the thread where Jstdv8 will post his impressions? I tried to search, but looks like he posts a lot and I couldn't find the correct one.
I probably won't change for at least 6 mos due to the expense, but would like to see/hear about the difference anyway.

slice

Looking back through the PMs, he may not be ready to switch out his bulbs for a bit longer. Actually, I might switch my bulbs before he does. When I do, I will definitely report my impressions.
In the meantime you might want to read The Grim Reefer T5 posts over at that massively massive reef forum (good read, detailed and lengthy).

slice

Oh another thing, you asked about moonlights. I use one of those little module jobs that look like

I drilled a hole in the rear of the housing just above the splash screen, just large enough for the cord to pass through. The light sits on top of the splash screen inside the fixture.

J

jstdv8

I'm hoping to start changing my lights out two at a time over the next 3 months with ATi bulbs
Planning on taking some pictures of the tank after each bulb change and then of course a final one, just for grins.
I'm doing two at a time so that i won't have to move any of my corals or try to reduce the light somehow with all the new light that the newer bulbs would produce, so i'm thinking if I replece two at a time i can skip that step. And it won't be such a hit on the wallet all at once either.
Mine are a little over a year old. I don't mind the color either, but i know I'll love the color of the new ones and teh better PAR they are supposed to put out should be beneficial to the corals.

slice

Thanks for chiming in Jst, my timeframe is roughly the same as yours, except I will be going to TruLumen bulbs since my options for 18" bulbs are so limited. The only other option in an 18" bulb is Aquaticlife, but the reviews for those bulbs rate them as mediocre.
Even Current USA admits that the new TruLumen bulbs are much better than their old stock ones.

J

jstdv8

did you talk to grim reefer over at RC? He might be able to point you towards something he would consider better.
I don't know if there is anything better, but it might be worth a PM over there.

slice

I haven't PM'd Grim, but I've read his posts till my eyes bleed.
Good advise, I will give him a shout.

D

davidmwj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355071
I'm hoping to start changing my lights out two at a time over the next 3 months with ATi bulbs
Planning on taking some pictures of the tank after each bulb change and then of course a final one, just for grins.
I'm doing two at a time so that i won't have to move any of my corals or try to reduce the light somehow with all the new light that the newer bulbs would produce
, so i'm thinking if I replece two at a time i can skip that step. And it won't be such a hit on the wallet all at once either.
Mine are a little over a year old. I don't mind the color either, but i know I'll love the color of the new ones and teh better PAR they are supposed to put out should be beneficial to the corals.
Wow! It's that big of a difference eh? I'll check out the threads over there. Thanks again.

J

jstdv8

yes, you hear about corals bleaching out or getting angry when you change all your bulbs at once or get a new fixture.
Shouldnt be such a shock if I only do 2 at a time.

drewsbrews

I heard the samefor the stock bulbs, so I changed mine out asap. It's just over a 2 month old tank so not much reefing is going on yet anyway. The 10,000Ks were producing a ton of algae. I swapped all the bulbs out for a combo of ATI and UV.
2x Super Actinic (uv)
1x Aquasun (uv)
2x Aquablue Special (ati)
1x Blue plus (ati)
don't see much of a color difference, a little more contrast and fluorescing. Less algea growth
I also did a fan mod. 4x quiet 12v fans on my 36" fixture

D

davidmwj

Drew, my fixture came with 12k, not 10k. Do the 36" come with 10k, or did you typo that?
I like the color I have with the stock lights. Maybe it could be a little bluer or less white. My concern is that it would change the color to something that's not as visually pleasing, but it sounds like you hit a good combo with what you put in. Would like a pic once you get some corals in it. I'm probably not going to move to quickly on changing the bulbs out anyway.
Jstdv8, did you fasten the moonlights to the splash screen with tape or anything or is it just laying on there? I guess it doesn't block too much light from the mains , huh? I'll probably do the same thing. It sounds easy and quick.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmwj http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355366
Jstdv8, did you fasten the moonlights to the splash screen with tape or anything or is it just laying on there? I guess it doesn't block too much light from the mains , huh? I'll probably do the same thing. It sounds easy and quick.
That was me and the moonlights. No, all I did was unplug the cord from the moonlight, run it through the hole, tie a very loose overhand knot in the cord inside the fixture to keep inside, and replugged it into the little light. It just laying there on top of the splash screen. The overhand knot in the cord keeps it in position front to back; the moonlight swings left to right when I move the fixture, but easily repositioned with a little jiggle.
Yeah, it blocks a very small amount of light, the moonlight is only about 1 1/2" square and I only need one module.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355246
I heard the samefor the stock bulbs, so I changed mine out asap. It's just over a 2 month old tank so not much reefing is going on yet anyway. The 10,000Ks were producing a ton of algae. I swapped all the bulbs out for a combo of ATI and UV.
2x Super Actinic (uv)
1x Aquasun (uv)
1x Blue plus (ati)
don't see much of a color difference, a little more contrast and fluorescing. Less algea growth
I also did a fan mod
. 4x quiet 12v fans on my 36" fixture
Fan mod?!?
To make them more quiet?

J

jstdv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355246
2x Super Actinic (uv)
1x Aquasun (uv)
1x Blue plus (ati)
I also did a fan mod
Fan mod?!?
To make them more quiet?
that's a good idea, my fans are a little on the loud side.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/383474/nova-extreme-pro-questions#post_3355388
Quote:
2x Super Actinic (uv)
1x Aquasun (uv)
1x Blue plus (ati)
I also did a fan mod
Fan mod?!?
To make them more quiet?
that's a good idea, my fans are a little on the loud side.

Indeed

reefraff

The UV lighting lamps aren't very good either. Stick with ATI, Guesemann, Aquascience or KZ whenever possible. GE Daylights are good too. Just for reference the Nova pro has about 15% less output than a Tek light. I'd use good lamps if you are raising any high light critters in the 90.