Nova extreme t-5 with lunar lights

corky66

Hey all,
Just a quick question about the new nova extreme light system. Does anyone out there no anything about this light and if so is it strong enough to keep a reef tank happy and healthy. It says it has 5 ,t-5 54 watt each high output fluorescent bulbs with a total of 216 watts , and its paired with 4 noctural glow led lunar lights. the bulbs are slimpaq 460nmactinic and 10000:k t-5 ho lamps. Features microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast , intergraded cooling fans, parabolic reflectors splash lens . cost 199.99 guess what im wanting to no is will this be ok for my 55-gal reef tank. right now I have polyps, finger coral, anenames- bubble and long tent. leather . but i just lost a big anename cant think of its name something like magnifacint green something. anyway found out it needs vho lighting. does the light im asking about even compare to vho lighting. ty all input is very welcomed.

corky66

so you think for my 55 it will not be a waste of time or money. and will it be strong enough for live corals needing strong lighting. I have bout 60 lbs live rock now give or take 5lbs gonna get couple more pieces soon then i should be good . just dont want to spent the molluh on that light if it isnt gonna do it for me. ty for your input , the panama kid

rusting

Originally Posted by corky66
Hey all,
Just a quick question about the new nova extreme light system. Does anyone out there no anything about this light and if so is it strong enough to keep a reef tank happy and healthy. It says it has 5 ,t-5 54 watt each high output fluorescent bulbs with a total of 216 watts , and its paired with 4 noctural glow led lunar lights. the bulbs are slimpaq 460nmactinic and 10000:k t-5 ho lamps. Features microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast , intergraded cooling fans, parabolic reflectors splash lens . cost 199.99 guess what im wanting to no is will this be ok for my 55-gal reef tank. right now I have polyps, finger coral, anenames- bubble and long tent. leather . but i just lost a big anename cant think of its name something like magnifacint green something. anyway found out it needs vho lighting. does the light im asking about even compare to vho lighting. ty all input is very welcomed.
T5's are great lights, a lot of bang for the buck. They run cool, and the bulbs last a long time. 5 bulb t5's should be great for a 55 gal.

fanker

spend the extra $50 and get a tek or aquayinics, dont wast ur money on nova, its nothing without individual reflectors,

maxalmon

I agree, the NOVA's are not the best for the money, I've heard of a lot of problems with that system... TEK is much better

lex2lo

i purchased the aquactinics unit and love it and by the way i have a 5 bulb 54 watt unit in that equates to 270 watts
it has individual reflectors vs the nova dosent. i love my light and can send you the link if u would like.

fanker

ya and the aquactinics also has better reflectors, i would have bought that but i never heard of it till after i bought my tek

nick76

Originally Posted by chrisarc
Here is my 55 with the fixture you are inquiring about. I like it alot.
Chris is that a 48" fixture? for a 4 foot long tank? I was looking at the exact same piece today, I was wondering, do u use any cover over the tank besides the light itself, like a hood? or nothing.

J

jrthomas40

man that is a really cool tank...and those are the T-5's??? i just paid like a buck 50 for my vho's and if those are T-5's i wish i would have went with those on my 45....i see now i will have to get a way bigger tank next time i get one :)

chrisarc

Yes its the Current 4't5s over a standard 55. I keep the top open all the time because I crack the windows before I leave for work to keep Ph up. The only thing I dont like about the lights is when salt creep builds up on the cover its a real PIA to slide out.

gasguzzler

I have the same Nova Extreme fixture on my 55 reef. Its been about a year now and its been fantastic. Corals are very healthy, reproducing and growing rapidly. The fish look awesome, too. Great set up for the money!

bacia

I have the Nova T5s on my 58 and my two 75 gal tanks. I really like them. On one 75 I have the unit you are talking about. I have shrooms, LTA, leathers, polyps, palys, torch, nepthea and lobophyllia. All are happy. The other 75 has the Nova with 8 T5s. I have monti, pavona, pectinia, pachyseris, merulina, goniastrea and pipe organ. They are happy too. The 58 has a Nova T5s and my hammer, forgspawn, shrooms, BTA, lobophyllia, galaxea and pectinia are happy too. I really like the Nova T5s.