Nova Extreme

rmeaux

Well I was looking to get the Nova Extreme Pro 6x54. I would like a tek but I can get the Nova with bulbs cheaper than a Tek fixture. I kinda wanna spread my funds to other things. Can someone give me Pros and Cons of this Nova Fixture. Also I have a canopy. If I cut out the sides where the fans are I should be alright, right? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks! Oh this is going on my 75 which I will be starting my diary on soon, getting my ducks in a row first.

coastie81

well it says right in the instructions not to put under a canopy. Mine does not get hot at all but I am also in puerto rico where my air conditioner is on all day everyday so I really have no heat issues. I really wouldn't want to put under a canopy as the legs do not attach to the tank the just sit on the top of the tank. just my .02, anyone else feel free to chime in.

05xrunner

if you put some slots in the canopy to allow the fans in teh Nova to blow the air out I dont see why you would have any problems. These T5HO do not put out much heat at all..On my fixture I can touch the bulbs after it being on for a few hours and doesnt really feel all that hot..Even if you put holes in the top of the canopy with a small PC fan i would think would blow out enough of the hot air as well.

rmeaux

Well I figured I could put vents on my canopy. Also the whole back is open. I was going to put fans.
However, I found these nice looking fixtures by Finnex. They look like a Tek but come with bulbs and are a few more dollars than the nova extreme pro. Any comments on these fixtures would be great.

05xrunner

I dont believe the Finnex are individual reflectors. so thats basically pointless then.
i just looked them up..they only have 1 large reflector. Dont waste your money on them

rmeaux

True I just took a better look myself.
At first I was going to retro fit with 2 ice cap 660's but after you add bulbs, reflectors, endcaps; it adds up quick. For the bang for your buck looks like Nova Extreme Pro 6x54 is my perfect choice.
Thanks for all your help!

moprint

You can get a 4 bulb prewired retro with bulbs, ballast, and SLR reflectors driven by an Icecap 660. For about 50 dollars more then the Nova Extreme Pro. I have the Nova and like it, if I had a canopy I would get the retro.

rmeaux

But I was leaning more towards the 6 bulb configuration. If I go the Ice Cap 660 route I am limited to 4 bulbs with them all coming on at once. I hear the ice cap overdrives the bulbs would this make up for 2 less bulbs.

moprint

The 4 bulb retro on an Icecap would be better then Nova Extreme Pro. You always add 2 more bulbs down the road for your dusk to dawn effect. Yes the icecap overdrives the bulbs to around 85 watts.