Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

novahobbies

LOL I rather think of it as making sure she has a good home to go to. I don't believe seahorses do well as solitary animals, and I don't want to get more horses for a little while. She'll be much better off with a few tankmates in a place where, hopefully, someone can learn about the local seahorses and a little about ocean conservation down here. She's very wanted....but my feelings about keeping her are overshadowed by what I feel would be better for HER.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/820#post_3516557
LOL I rather think of it as making sure she has a good home to go to. I don't believe seahorses do well as solitary animals, and I don't want to get more horses for a little while. She'll be much better off with a few tankmates in a place where, hopefully, someone can learn about the local seahorses and a little about ocean conservation down here. She's very wanted....but my feelings about keeping her are overshadowed by what I feel would be better for HER.
It's hard to let a critter go isn't it? I keep Kuda, and I was told you can't mix species, or I would give her a home...

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/820#post_3516558
It's hard to let a critter go isn't it? I keep Kuda, and I was told you can't mix species, or I would give her a home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/820#post_3516652
If I wasn't cursed and lived closer, I would offer to give her a good home.
Believe me, if either of you lived closer, y'all would be the first choice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/820#post_3516668
Cursed? Your not cursed. You just live in Jersey is all. Lol

Oh, Ow.....Coffee......through the nose......should not have been drinking when I read that!

novahobbies

Just thought y'all should know that this is in fact STILL a seahorse tank. My last girl has gone bright yellow (she probably knows my wife loves that) and has therefore avoided the curse of being donated to a local Aquarium. She has a new tankmate that might make some people twitch -- a juvenile Red Coris Wrasse. No problems with competition at this stage, although Wife and I both know that at some point one or the other animal is going to have to go. In the meantime, however, everyone is doing well.
I just did a MASSIVE WC/tank cleaning today. This tank has been the Caulerpa nightmare for many months, but today it got pruned down as much as humanly possible. I did a complete cleaning of the overflow, the skimmer, and all the powerheads, a 50% WC, and of course all the mechanical filter pads. The water is still a little cloudy right now, but I'll take a picture when it clears up.

gemmy

It's funny how they will change colors. My seahorses came to me yellow and are now jet black.

novahobbies

It's been quite some time since I posted any pics of the tank.
Here's a couple FTS pics...

There is a new fish in this tank that the cat is DESPERATE to get to:

A Juvie Red Choris. Moves very fast, very hard to catch on film:

But he behaves with the seahorse.

teresaq

Hey there just stopped in to say hi
Seem to have lits if time on my hands and need to keep my mind busy and off other stuff

novahobbies

Well, I figure I should report the bad news. Sorry to say, but earlier this month my last seahorse succumbed to a bacterial infection.
I had treated her a couple times for it, but she wasn't really getting better. I think I just delayed the inevitable.
I just thought I should let everyone know and officially "close" this thread.
We're going to take a break for a few months and keep a few other animals in there for the interim, but I'm sure the seahorse bug will be biting again before the year is out.

teresaq

Sorry to hear about the last horse. I know the feeling. I do miss them but they are just so much work
I too have a Caulerpa nightmare.
I am hoping to do a big tank clean up in a few weeks and clean this crap out.

novahobbies

Thanks for the kind words. Right now this tank is home for a Royal Gramma, a juvie Red coris, and a Heniochus butterfly who has been banished from the big tank for misbehavior.