Now I'm Scared to Add My Porc Puffer...

chana

Current stock: Lunar Wrasse, Eel, and Grouper. (Had a porc puffer before that met an untimely demise due to a rock slide). Fish are approx 5-7".
Recently moved the 3 into a 300 gallon. Have 2 juvenile porc puffers on hold at LFS. Two days ago, added 2 4" foxfaces. One of them was "missing" within about 10 minutes, and the eel looks suspiciously full. The other was being bullied by the grouper, so moved the remaining foxface to our reef tank.
I'm now 2nd guessing whether the small porc puffers will survive if I put them in there... anyone have any thoughts on this?

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by chana
http:///forum/post/2946999
Current stock: Lunar Wrasse, Eel, and Grouper. (Had a porc puffer before that met an untimely demise due to a rock slide). Fish are approx 5-7".
Recently moved the 3 into a 300 gallon. Have 2 juvenile porc puffers on hold at LFS. Two days ago, added 2 4" foxfaces. One of them was "missing" within about 10 minutes, and the eel looks suspiciously full. The other was being bullied by the grouper, so moved the remaining foxface to our reef tank.
I'm now 2nd guessing whether the small porc puffers will survive if I put them in there... anyone have any thoughts on this?
My gut is telling me that your gut has already told you...I would not chance it.

unleashed

i seriously doubt your eel has eaten the foxface as they are venomous.. it may be just in hiding due to the stress of being moved.on the other hand depending on how big your eel is and what type it is.... now I will say the wrasse is not a good tank mate for the puffers as they are very active and fast eaters... they will undoubtedly stress your puffers..wrasses and puffers are not good tank mates ever... unless you willing to remove the wrasse and possibly eel I would not add them to this tank

R

rcreations

I have a dogface puffer with a lunare wrasse. It used to be a little tricky feeding the puffer because the wrasse and my other fish are very fast. But I found a great solution... I feed the puffer at night when all the other fish are asleep. Works great! Otherwise the wrasse shows no agression towards the puffer.

chana

Thanks for the info... I do agree that feeding can be tricky, but we are prepared for that (like I said, we had a puffer in there before). I'm not concerened about the wrasse at all, he shows no aggression to anything. I also somewhat agree with the statement that the eel wouldn't eat him due to being venomous, and his size, he isn't that big. But, if the grouper took a chunk out of him, and the eel swallowed the rest...? The grouper is the biggest concern, I think. I was hoping that out of instinct they wouldn't bother the new puffers, but then again I thought that about the foxface for the same reason. Is it possible that their attitudes and aggression levels can change moving up to a tank twice as big?

chana

The good news: Ok we got the puffers and the eel wasn't a problem

The BAD news: We have a small "Eyeball" tank that is set up higher then the 265 Gall tank. We have a powerhead that pumps water to it and then the water gravity drains back to the 265 gall tank.
Well 1 puffer got stuck on the powerhead and got a hugh hicky

That ultimately killed him

BTW that powerhead now has a sponge fiter on it so it doesn't happen again!
We feel terrible

insane96

well i have a zebra moray eel that is over 3ft long and i also have a juvi porcupine puffer and my ell has not bothered it and my lunare wrasse does good with it too and my panther grouper never bothers it either

prime311

You're not supposed to keep 2 adult Porcupines together, but in a 300 gallon maybe itll be alright. Just in case you were thinking of getting another. Sucks to lose one to a Powerhead :( Thats why I use only Koralias in my tank.