Nudibranch ID Please

kwolfskill

Hey Gang -
I found this guy in my tank tonight and I'm wondering if he is good and I should leave him, or he is bad and should go away. I have been trying to figure out for a while now why my corals have been closing up or getting eaten, could it be this? BTW - it is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
Thanks!

angler man

I love Nudi's! Unfortunately, they love to eat what hold dear. We see a beautiful coral, they see a Big Mac. I'm interested to see if anyone can ID this guy. My guess is he's not suitable for your tank.

renogaw

most nudis are not good, and will usualy only eat one thing. that SORTA looks like a berghia though

kwolfskill

Originally Posted by renogaw
most nudis are not good, and will usualy only eat one thing. that SORTA looks like a berghia though
That is what I thought. So, if it is a berghia, I would want to keep it because it is keeping the apaista (sp?) down in my tank, but otherwise I probably want to get rid of it.

kwolfskill

Originally Posted by Dogstar
IMO, Phestilla melanobrachia. Feeds on Tubastrea.
The coloration doesn't quite match, but it would explain why my turbina and candy cane keep getting stressed out...

blazin2k6

I found something yesterday on my zoanthid frag rock. It appeared to look like a slug but didnt really have any head or anything i could find. But i have noticed it getting bigger and bigger and the last week or two my zoanthids havent been opening at all on this frag so i finally decided to just peel it off. Im hoping it wasnt skin of new zoanthid growth. LOL. But seems that my zoanthids are happier now.

sommisofish

This is a Phyllodesmium briareum and feeds on a number of species of briareid soft coral. I've had these before - they are non-poisonous. Let me know if you decide to let him go, one of my specialties are nudibranchs.