Nudibranch

leopard_babe

Anyone ever kept one?? I always wanted one, but I can't find very much information on them.
I love the lettuce Nudibranch , and the purple one (forgot the name of it), that they have on SWF.com
Any opinions, or even better pix??

perfectdark

Typically they are not recommended in our aquariums except for the lettuce nudi. It is the only one that IMO is ok for your tank. The lettuce nudi actually utilizes the light and photosynthesis for food, not solely but in part. It has the ability to take the algae they eat and separate the parts of it. (dont remember the actual name of the process) but the part of the algae it separates it absorbs and takes its pigment. Then it uses light to help feed. Cool huh.
I dont know too much about the other species other than the fact that they have a very strict diet that is really unknown. Some eat corals, some graze algae and some eat a type of snail. The other thing to know is the colored ones are said to be extremely toxic. So, if one dies depending on the size of it and the size of your tank things can get ugly fast. The brighter more brilliant the color the more toxic they are said to be. HTH.

fcatch76

Leopard,
I have two in my BC29 and not a single complaint. People are amazed when they move. They can't believe it is actually alive!

leopard_babe

I think that this is a totally cool invert.
So I will probably have to scratch the blue spotted puffer and starfish then. Right???

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2763746
The Lettuce nudi's are relatively easy to keep, if they don't get sucked into a powerhead or overflow, which is what happens 90% of the time.
You wouldn't have any tips to prevent that would you?

sleazalino

i just got on thursday.guy at the store they are pretty hardier to keep it was moving everywhere then stopped been stuck in the middle of tank has no move for 2 day.i look on here the care level is diffcult,is he dead already?i wouldn't have got him if i knew they were impossible to keep someone let me know please

leopard_babe

sleazalino: I know from reading that some of them are toxic to your tank when they die. I think that the more exotic ones are harder to keep due to their diets. Some nudi's only eat certain algeas.
Samurai_Sushi: I had baby clownfish once and I used the sponge that you can put in the powerhead filter, and cut it into small strips and stretched it around my overflow so that they would not get sucked into the overflow.
I have never seen one in a tank before. They look amazing. So many decisions

sleazalino

this thing is amazing to watch he goes around the whole tank and goes back to the same spot everyday he is neat he was only 14 buck

the only nudi i would say to have in ur aquarium is the lettuce nudi and the others either eat coral or something unknow and die and y would u keep an animal for it to die. the purple one is called the purple nudi and iv had them and they died but i didnt know that they would die and never did research ... but now i know.

leopard_babe

I am still working on the stock list business. i am desiding between a small puffer, or inverts. I have never actually seen a nudi before, just pix.

aquaknight

The reason the Lettuce is the only Nudi that does well in our system, is because it's actually not a Nudibranch, but a sea slug. More of a closer relative to the Sea Hare. They do better in systems with less flow. My parents had one in their reef, and they had to pick him out the sump numberous times before he 'disappeared' (aka got sucked into a pump). Also if you're considering a toby puffer, definitely skip on a lettuce sea slug too. Quick meal for the puffer.

leopard_babe

blue spotted puffer is what i am considering. My porky ate all my snails, but never bothered my starfish.
I would like the nudi, snails and a star. So I might skip the puffer. But i love their personalities. I would like 1 big main fish in my tank. Since my tank is way to small for a tang. Still doing research.
I have alot of flow in my tank, maybe it is not a good set up for a nudi. I am still researching.

mscenter58

i have a orage spot sea hare its been doing good but i hear when they die they give of toxic waste is this true??

leopard_babe

From what I have been reading, the more exotic and colorful nudi can be toxic when the get stressed or die.
Mind you, I have no experience. That is just what I have been researching.

mscenter58

yea well i just got mine and is great if you want them to get ride of ur algea. the guy at my lfs said it is nacturnal but he is out during the day and sleeps at night it really is a great addition to the tank. tho mine does not have great coloration.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by sleazalino
http:///forum/post/2764420
i just got on thursday.guy at the store they are pretty hardier to keep it was moving everywhere then stopped been stuck in the middle of tank has no move for 2 day.i look on here the care level is diffcult,is he dead already?i wouldn't have got him if i knew they were impossible to keep someone let me know please
thats exactly wat hapened w/ me....i went into a lfs and saw purple and aked the guy wat they eat and he said oh its noithing u canse in the tank but they et alot.so i bought himand he died like a week later