Nutritional Value of Brine Shrimp

dinogeorge

Hi everyone,
I have fed brine shrimp as part of my fish’s diet for the last 29 years. Over the years I have heard varying comments about its nutritional value. As I have done more research I have not been able to find any actual data to support this. I hear people perpetuating the notion that is has no food value, but has there been an actual study by an actual laboratory on his subject, or is it based on “I heard from a friend of a friend” sort of thing? I’m not challenging the comments; I just want to know where I can find the data to support this?
I have also heard, time and time again that Mysis shrimp are much better to feed. But again, where is the actual data that supports this?
I still feed brine as part of their diet, albeit soaked in garlic and zoe now, because my fish like it and I like to vary their diet. But I would like to see real data, and who did the research, so that I can make an informed decision to remove it from their menu…or least only make it once in while treat for them.
Please don’t take this wrong, but I’m not looking for opinions; I’m looking for facts.
Thanks everyone!

michaeltx

there was a study done I cant remember where it was though I will see if I can find it again. but basically what they found was that brine that was just hatched and still had their yolk sacs intac had more nitrient value than adult brine. it didnt not say there was NO nutrient value but very little value. the best thing to do with brine if you are feeding live brine is gut load them before feeding and it increases their nutrient value.
I will see if I can find that study report though its long reading and 90% of it was uniteresting reading though LOL
Mike

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
there was a study done I cant remember where it was though I will see if I can find it again. but basically what they found was that brine that was just hatched and still had their yolk sacs intac had more nitrient value than adult brine. it didnt not say there was NO nutrient value but very little value. the best thing to do with brine if you are feeding live brine is gut load them before feeding and it increases their nutrient value.
I will see if I can find that study report though its long reading and 90% of it was uniteresting reading though LOL
Mike
Thanks Mike!
Anyone else? I have seen tons of posts of folks "claiming the claim", but the lack of response to my questions has me wondering if many of them were just repeating what they heard but didn't have any facts to support it.
Hmmm
Hope you can find the report Mike. What you said about the yolks sacs seems to make sense. It will interesting to read the entire case study.

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by DevMAx
Here's an article which onlines why adult brine shrimp that are sold at your average LFS are nutritionally lacking
http://www.******
Ah ha!!! Facts at last. This is a very interesting article and sure seems to support the comments made by so many people. I’m glad to see this topic was not simply an urban legend! After reading it, I think I’ll make a change to fish’s menu. Thanks for the article DevMAx!!!!!

renogaw

I was going to show you that yesterday, but unfortunately SWF.Com restricts direct links to websites that have competitors advertising on it, and it will probably get deleted.