NYC water

reefiness

anyone in NYC use RO and see a difference in quality of the water.
im trying to get convince my father that we need an RO/DI unit but he thinks NYC water is pure enough

db

There is a huge difference between RO and anybody's tap water. There are tons of things in tap water that you really don't want in your tank. Take a look around maybe there is a store that sells RO water. I know it may be tough in NYC, but here locally we have a store called Home Enviroment that sells RO for $.44 a gallon and even cheaper if you buy volume. I think they are a franchise, but I don't know if they are out your way.

nm reef

I believe you can request a statement from your local water company that can provide water quality information...but in general RO or RO/DI filtered water will always be much more pure than any tap water source.

reefiness

Originally Posted by DB
There is a huge difference between RO and anybody's tap water. There are tons of things in tap water that you really don't want in your tank. Take a look around maybe there is a store that sells RO water. I know it may be tough in NYC, but here locally we have a store called Home Enviroment that sells RO for $.44 a gallon and even cheaper if you buy volume. I think they are a franchise, but I don't know if they are out your way.
there are absolutly no places around here that sell RO as far as i seen.

reefiness

Originally Posted by NM reef
I believe you can request a statement from your local water company that can provide water quality information...but in general RO or RO/DI filtered water will always be much more pure than any tap water source.

thats a good idea, ill try to get the statement and see.

dmitry

I live in NYC and use an RO/DI unit. Not really sure where one can get prepared water in the city. But distilled water might be a good substitute for tap; I used that until setting up RO/DI.

J

jupoc911

i live kind of outside NYC in NJ. Test the tap water for phosphates. Mine here is .6!!! i am pretty suure it is the same. Hello Algea!!!! The silicates are prb through the roof too.

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by reefiness
anyone in NYC use RO and see a difference in quality of the water.
im trying to get convince my father that we need an RO/DI unit but he thinks NYC water is pure enough
You should explain to him that he will never need to purchase anymore bottled water ever again and no need to change those expensive filters on the fridge (if you have the water there)
Search on sears dot com for a kenmore unit and it will explain all the benefits and also fit in the kitchen sink and comes with its own faucet.
Try that and see how it goes. I think it says you pay like 9 cents a gallon for the water after you get the RO DI unit.
Anthony

fishamajig

ok i can put my 2 cents in here. i work for a company that installs commercial ice machines in new york city. the amount of free floating rust (iron oxide) alone is staggering. we do not have a calcite problem with our water but it does either get pumped from underground or live in a resoirvoir (spelling?) there are nitrated already, and the water (on long island anyway) are loaded with phosphates. imo you HAVE to run ro/di or the algie probs alone would get crazy. and you will never achieve 0 readings.

huntoaks

I live in NY also and I was getting cyano outbreaks with RO/DI water I was buying. After I bought my Kent Maxxima Hi-S RO/DI unit my cyano left and never returned. The RO water I was buying was not good. So be carefull. Even if you think you are buying clean water, it might not be. You should get your own RO unit. You'll be happy you did...your fish will be happy you did...and your wallet will be happy you did.
Good luck!!!