nYgel's 10 gallon

nygel

Alright, I have returned, I'm not sure how many of you were on this forum back when I was, but I had some tanks, some problems, etc. But now I have moved a 1000 miles from home and Im starting a new tank.
This is going to be an economical tank because I am in film school in Orlando at the moment so I don't have a TON of time or money. I did drop a lot on this first purchase though. Mainly the light cost a bit.
I have at the moment this stuff (no pics):
10 gallon (your normal kind, it was $10, I like cheap remember?)
Some arogonite sand stuff (I like it more than live sand)
Salt mix (of course)
Some powerful powerhead (live rock is sole filtration, im experimenting)
and this sweet little light. It is a Sunpaq Retrofit. 2x 32 watt. 15"
My first concern are my lights. They arent in a hood unfortunately. Therefore I need to suspend them from something. I would obviously rather not drill a hole in the ceiling of my apartment so I want other methods if you can think of some.
Idealy this is a reef tank because I can't put a dwarf lion in it (first idea, but I didn't want another 30g) so 10lbs of rock and a large frogspawn, a clown and a goby of some sort probably. I'll buy a HOB filter probably down the road as I don't trust the live rock theory at this moment.

nygel

well, news about my previous endevour.
I called my parents who are now in charge since I've moved away and apparently it sprung quite the leak and now it is no more. The remaining fish (Cherub Angel, Clown, Watchman) are all in a 10g at the moment until everything is solved. Just a little info, it relates to this tank a little as well.
So im thinking of going with mostly frogspawns and hammers in the tank, tiny ones of course. They will be higher up and then having a shroom garden on the bottom. Ideally i'd have a clown or two and a shrimp goby. Probably of the Yasha Haze type. These three really aren't pushing the bioload, as the clowns would hopefully host the bountiful tentacles around it and the yasha wouldn't swim around. b e a utiful.

nygel

I forgot noone cares unless a pic is in the thread. So here ya go, my lone pic. No table yet, which is why its not set up yet.

kclester

yea it would be awesome for a 10 gallon i would imagine.....i may look for it and try to set up a 10 gallon

nygel

right now the issue is hanging the thing though. I started a thread in the DIY on what I should do so hopefully I get a good idea. and i need a good table.

nygel

i like that, how much did all the pvc cost? The only issue is that i have to

[hr]
the light into something to hold it. probably do something like that with a piece of wood that the lights are screwed in to.

nygel

well, i still don't have a sturdy table yet so until that happens I have nothing, but here is a pic of the lighting system.

spanko

That is not my tank so I cannot say what the cost for the PVC was. But I cannot imagine it was too much. Probably somewhere around $10.00 in total cost.

nygel

Alright, things are moving smoothly, I potentially have a table and found live rock for relatively cheap ($4/#) so tomorrow I will find some PVC and wood and start trying to make this thing.

nygel

So, I've never had a power head before like this one. its cord goes right into the back (like most I assume) but can I submerge that cord a bit? or do i need to try to prevent it from getting wet? I'm assuming the first but I dont want to blow up anything.