Oceanic vs. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

errattiq

I have been using oceanic salt for over a year now and was wondering if anyone has used this brand AND Instant Ocean Reef Crystals to give me a good quality comparison. I know its long shot but if anyone has tested the trace elements of both these brands newly mixed with ro/di water that would be awesome! I've also heard changing salt brands in an established tank has the ability to cause a serious crash. If anyone has successfully swapped oceanic for the I.O. with no negative effects let me know. So let the arguments begin, Oceanic, or I.O.??

nano reefer

i use both. i found that when i use oceanic i have to dose trace elements less, and with instant ocean, i have to dose every day. i switch between the 2 all the time, and my tanks are fine.

kanima

I swapped from Reef Crystals to Oceanic , I got tired of trying to get my Cal up with reef crystals.. So far 3 months in everything is looking better color wise and growing much better with Oceanic than with -- and my Cal has hung steady around 450 :)

salt210

do stores around you all carry these? the only ones that I can find are reef crystals and the regular Instant ocean brands

I order my Oceanic salt from amazon in buckets that are good for 200g and pay $10 for shipping. I find that the easiest way for me.

aquaguy24

been using oceanic from day one...i do water changes once a month...CA at 450. ph around 8.2 alk around 10-11...test result are right before water changes...imo its the next best thing to tropic marin pro..i get mine from my lfs..

detane

I use Ocean Pure Pro. Its not as high with the CALCIUM but its dam close.lol and its priced at $70 for a 200 galon mix.

crypt keeper

you can get oceanic at pet smart. I use it for my fowlr and my fish do great in it. I have tons of growth on my rocks as well.

salt210

I have been wanting to get away from IO, even tho it is 40 for the 5 gallon bucket. I am wanting to move into corals.

culp

I use IO and so does my LFS. and neither of us have any problems with it and my LFS raises and frags their own corals.

windlasher

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/3024753
I have been using oceanic salt for over a year now and was wondering if anyone has used this brand AND Instant Ocean Reef Crystals to give me a good quality comparison. I know its long shot but if anyone has tested the trace elements of both these brands newly mixed with ro/di water that would be awesome! I've also heard changing salt brands in an established tank has the ability to cause a serious crash. If anyone has successfully swapped oceanic for the I.O. with no negative effects let me know. So let the arguments begin, Oceanic, or I.O.??
-- is a great salt but be careful if you buy the new 200g boxes. I think they changed the formula. I had gotten very good at measuring how much salt goes into how much water and then I ordered the boxes. WHen I tested my new water itwas 15% saltier than before.

canareef

I've used IO and the only thing I found it fell short on was magnesium had to bump it up after a water change and everything else is fine. You can do a search on the net and find the make-up of the salt mixes in a comparasion.

uneverno

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3025737
-- is a great salt but be careful if you buy the new 200g boxes. I think they changed the formula. I had gotten very good at measuring how much salt goes into how much water and then I ordered the boxes. WHen I tested my new water itwas 15% saltier than before.
Good to know. I'm a bout 1/2 way through a 200 gal bucket I bought several years ago.
errattiq - here's a good article comparing various mixes including Oceanic and IO:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1
I use Oceanic myself, for no particualr reason except that it's what my LFS uses. LFS is on the same municiple water supply that I am, so I figure acclimation may
be a tad easier in that all I really have to match is temp and salinity.

errattiq

Wow!! Great replies everyone. I think I'm going to stay with Oceanic after reading the comparisons. Thank you all for speaking up!
-Josh