Oceanic Wet Dry Nightmare!

gary1328

I am so confused. I am pretty new to this, but I have done lots of research and continue to do so. Can anyone give me advice on the whole wet/dry system for Oceanic with the bio-balls. I cannot get my nitrates down and have heard many opinions about getting rid of bio-balls.
First, my setup:
125 gallon reef ready with 2 corner overflows
Overflows to sump with mechanical filter pad covering plastic plate with holes in it, which then spills into bioballs.
Next---Water goes into 3 inch sand bed in sump with Chaeto and live rock.
I put a partition up half way in the sump with lots of holes in it, then my protein skimmer gets the water, and I have a bag of carbon and phospate absorber.
Next is the wall divider that goes to the pump and back up to the display tank.
My questions:
Can I get rid of all of the mechanical filters and the bio-balls?
How do the pods get up into the display tank, if you have a pre-filter on your pump?
Can someone please tell me the proper set-up from experience?
This is driving me insane, I would really appreciate it.
I have 3-150W halide 4 96W CF--(Lots of Brown & Green Algae with tiny bubbles attached to everything because of nitrates, I'm guessing)
Temp---79
Salinity--1.025
RO water only
weekly 10% water changes
Phosphates---.01
alkalinity----8
calcium----450
PH

[hr]
8.00 at night 8.25 during day
Please help me with my nitrate factory!!!!
Thank You in advance

gatorwpb

While I dont have any bio-balls or a wet/dry, I can tell what Ive read and told a few friends.
With the sump you have setup, its more of a refugium, so I dont think you even need the bio balls. You can probably just take them out, but do it slowly, or else you will release much of the built up detritus on the balls and cause even more nitrates. Take them out like 10% every few days, or maybe 25% a week.
As to the pods, I also have mechanical filtration after my fuge until my macro algae grows more, so what has been recommended to me was to just take small clumps of the algae and shake it in the main tank, which releases a bunch of pods.
If your macroalgae is thick enough, you wont need the filters.

gary1328

Forgot to mention:
My tank is approaching 2 months old and also I have around 180 pounds of live rock in the main display and I used all live sand to start it.
I am starting to see tiny specs of Coraline Algae, but mostly dissapointing micro algae.
Has everyone gone through this stage????

gatorwpb

My tank is only that old and I have about 0.5" specs of coralline on the overflow and back wall. I am scraping it off the sides and front.
Everyone goes through an algal bloom. If you have good nutrient export, then your algal bloom is smaller.
You may also see red slime algae (cyanobacteria) or brown spots on the sand which is diatoms. All these are normal tank reactions after it has completed its cycle. The more nitrates and phosphates in your water, the more the algae will grow.
Some sand sifters will help and a cleanup crew. Emerald crabs help with bubble algae, various snails for the sand and slime algae.
Also, water changes and reducing the timers on your lights help to reduce algae growth.
GL

gtiguy

And just from my experience get rid of the bio-balls bc from what ive learned they are part of your nitrate factory problem, get a filter sock or some poly pad if that can work.....and if all else fails try some algone from there website, worked for me when i used and also helps clarify the water!!!