Ocellaris Clown behavior

fibinotchi

Is it normal for a clown to swim all night long after the lights go out, eat fine, but spend most of the day laying in the sand up against the glass? He seems healthy and fine. just like he is resting all day long with occasional 5 minute periods of activity.

mony97

What are your tank parameters?
And is he actively swimming all around the tank or just swimming? My two clowns swim all night but mainly in one spot and than near the sand. And is the fish swimming about the sand or physically laying on it?

fibinotchi

All parameters are good and all livestock is good, I consider myself intermediate so that is the first thing I am always aware of, At night he seems to mainly swim in 2 different areas but pretty much in the same spot, during the day, when he swims he doesn't seem distressed or sickly, just every 5 minutes or so he goes and lays down in his little corner at the front of the tank and lays up against the glass. I just fed him a nice batch of live baby brine shrimp and he spastically chased every single one down, he seems to have plenty of energy but I think he would appreciate an soft bed.

gmann1139

Fib, I posted on your other thread, but since this one's already gotten a response...
The clown may be hosting that area. Clowns are stupid, and will host anything in the tank, including a spot on the glass or an area of sand.

mony97

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/3219052
The clown may be hosting that area. Clowns are stupid, and will host anything in the tank, including a spot on the glass or an area of sand.
+1,
And the night time behavior is normal as well the clown will usually "sleep" in the same area all night and will always be swimming but with minimal movement.

fibinotchi

Ya, he just lays there and leans up against the glass, but if I walk over he gets up, and it is about an hour and a half before the lights go off that he gets up for good and doesn't go back to that spot until it starts to get light in the room in the morning before the lights come on. He also plays around in the wave maker stream, which is just a oscillating power head but he seems to enjoy it.