Ocellaris Clowns, Percula Clowns, & Anemone Hosting ?s

dutchswan

I have one Ocellaris Clown and one Bubbletip Anamone. So far, my clown has nipped at my goniopora, but has totally ignored the BTA. I know you are not supposed to mix clown species, but are Ocellaris and Perculas close enough? Do THEY know they are not the same? Is there anything I can do to get my clown to host the BTA? Will it help if I introduce a second clown (smaller, I know)?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Introducing another clown, even the same species, will result in the dominate fish harassing the other. Give it time.

i have a mix of clownfish, it is not a big mix though, one orange ocellaris and one black and white ocellaris. i would not suggest adding another fish yet though, give it a few weeks, if he does not host, i would recommend trying a sebae anemone, as long as both anemones have a decent distance from each other, the results should be great

dutchswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/383497/ocellaris-clowns-percula-clowns-anemone-hosting-s#post_3356301
Introducing another clown, even the same species, will result in the dominate fish harassing the other. Give it time.
I found another Ocellaris before I read your post. It was almost wierd, as the new one was just a tad larger than the old one. From the very first seconds its like they were long lost friends re-united and have been getting along wonderfully! Perhaps I lucked out. Still haven't seen either one of them host my BTA though. :-(

D

dertotschlager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan http:///forum/thread/383497/ocellaris-clowns-percula-clowns-anemone-hosting-s#post_3357544
I found another Ocellaris before I read your post. It was almost wierd, as the new one was just a tad larger than the old one. From the very first seconds its like they were long lost friends re-united and have been getting along wonderfully! Perhaps I lucked out. Still haven't seen either one of them host my BTA though. :-(
You did luck out. Every fish is different, it all depends on tons of variables. One of my clowns passed away (I had a pair) and it took me 3 clowns to find one the survivor liked. It is possible to find a replacement/friend, just takes time.

matirvine

I have one Ocellaris and one Perculas as well and they loved each other from day one. Been about 3 months now and ive noticed no change in there attitude toward each other.