ocellaris tumbling in circles

trompet3

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this fish? I've had him for ~5 years.
The tank lights are off, I turned on the room lights and he was twisting, turning, and tumbling upside down and in circles really fast. As I am typing now, he is calm and resting in a colt coral.
I have noticed some changes during feeding time this week...he seems to be a little "off balance", sometimes overshooting food etc. His body also looked a little "rough", like he got in a small fight.
Anyone know if I just freaked him out with the lights or is this whole pattern sound like a known problem?

overanalyzer

Was this right after lights out or something?? I would try to sneak up on him @ the same time to see if it is a habit or pattern.
The beat up look may also be some sort of parasite or he may be getting picked on - did you add any other fish?

chinnyr

I can't remember what it is called,but there is a disease that fish can get that makes them swim like you describe.I think it was a swimbladder problem.Are the other fish ok?Was there any sudden temperature change in the tank recently?Check your water levels,especially ph,to be sure the water is ok too.Good luck!

fender

I don't think it's old age. I read somewhere that clowns can live up to 20+ years in captivity. Sounds like a swim bladder problem to me too.