Ocellaris v. maroon clown

pthoma79

I bought a nice green bulb anemone (my first) at the lfs a few days ago, and one of the workers told me maroon clowns are much more likely to host than the ocellaris I have in my tank now. He actually went so far as to say I should bring in my ocellaris and exchange it for a maroon. Thoughts/opinions?

lmecher

The bta is a natural host for the maroon. A maroon is much more likely to host your bta. Saying that, your ocellaris is likely to host the bta but not being it's natural host, it may take longer. I have a pair of ocellaris that host my btas, it took them over a year to host but now they spawn. I also had a maroon, it took her months to finally host in my bta. As she matured, she became evil and bit, even jumped out of the tank (a few times) trying to get to me. Maroons have a reputation for being very aggressive. Some (very few) will say their maroons are sweet, not mine.
I don't know if that helped or confused you more.

The best advice I can give you is to go with what you really love. It is a personal choice, both fish have their endearing qualities.

chaseter

My maroon lives in my rbta. She isn't mean, she is more of a brat. She wags her tail at me to push water if my hand comes near her nem. I use to have a percula clown and it actually bit me. I traded that in for my maroon that I have now had for about 8 months. I have heard maroons are meaner but mine isn't mean to any of the other fish. She is more of a brat like I said and puts her butt in front of my yellow goby when he perches near her nem.

Originally Posted by pthoma79
http:///forum/post/3239285
He actually went so far as to say I should bring in my ocellaris and exchange it for a maroon. Thoughts/opinions?
+1 on the maroon fish being moon. But of course he would suggest you exchange it. You can bring it in and he'll give you a little credit and make another sale on the maroons.

casper1875

I bought an 8" RBTA and the first night in my tank it split. It didn't look like my ocellaris would have anything to do with them. I've had the RBTA for about 3 weeks. Friday I came home from work and my ocellaris were hanging out in the RBTA.

I have 3 ocellaris and it's awesome to see them going back and forth between the 2 anemones.

blanquita

I personally would not pick between them based on hosting. Fish dont always host. I have a maroon and she hasn't hosted anything and they have been known to host almost anything.

novahobbies

I've had a maroon for a couple years now. She's a complete jerk. Started off fine, but as she got bigger she's turned in to the ultimate evil girl. She chases everyone who comes near, she bites my hand when I'm cleaning the tank...she even takes food out of her anemone. She even chases the koran angelfish around. She's also long overdue for a trade-in.
Ironically, I've had an ocelaris in the tank with her the entire time, and they DON'T bother each other, despite all conventional wisdom. They each have half of their tank, and that's it.
Get the Ocellaris. You'll be much happier in the end. Maroons are eViL.