ocellerus/percula??

30-xtra high

hey guys, just got a new addition to the tank, an ocelerus clown, he's in there with my royal gramma, a couple fuzzy shrooms, and a stalk of xenia. my question is what is the dif. between ocelerus, and percula clowns?, and btw, i love my new clown, first one i've ever had, and he get's along great with my gramma.

dogstar

They are two different, seperate species. They can not crossbreed and are found in different areas of the world. Though they look simular at first, typical colored Os are a lighter orange with less black outlineing the white bars than the Percs.....

30-xtra high

very helpful, thanks, and mine has absolutly no black, so i guess he's an occeleris, and i noticed his middle stripe isn't complete... is that right?, it goes around his back(top), and down half way on both sides? but his belly is orange, i always thought it was 3 complete stripes...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
very helpful, thanks, and mine has absolutly no black, so i guess he's an occeleris, and i noticed his middle stripe isn't complete... is that right?, it goes around his back(top), and down half way on both sides? but his belly is orange, i always thought it was 3 complete stripes...

Maricultured Clowns often have incomplete stripes.

30-xtra high

1st off, what does "maricultured" mean?, i know wild caught, and aquacultured... but what's maricultured?, and i also have a new question, i just got home from my lfs, and returned with an atlantic carpet anemone, it's roughly 5-6 inches, and i have it high in my 30 under 130 watt pc's, and was told it'll be fine, will it be?, and can i feet it pieces of silversides?, will my clown host it?

dawman

It is nothing to worry about as it is just misbarred which in some cases looks very good.

chano

There is no clowns in the atlantic. If the anemone comes from the atlantic it has never seen a clown and from what i have heard about carpets they are iffy even if they are a natural hosting species. Never had one myself or known anyone who has, just what i have heard around here and other boards. Keep him well fed and keep a very close eye on them if you are going to try to have them in the same tank is MHO. I really don't know but since nobody answered about the carpet i figured i would throw in my $.02. Dont carpets get pretty big? May have to move it to a bigger tank eventually again i dunno but pacific carpets all get pretty huge from what i have read about them.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Chano
There is no clowns in the atlantic. If the anemone comes from the atlantic it has never seen a clown and from what i have heard about carpets they are iffy even if they are a natural hosting species. Never had one myself or known anyone who has, just what i have heard around here and other boards. Keep him well fed and keep a very close eye on them if you are going to try to have them in the same tank is MHO. I really don't know but since nobody answered about the carpet i figured i would throw in my $.02. Dont carpets get pretty big? May have to move it to a bigger tank eventually again i dunno but pacific carpets all get pretty huge from what i have read about them.
no, i definatly appreciate your 2 cents, yes they get pretty big, but once it gets past about a foot or so i will be moving to my friend's 145, but do you know if it'll be ok under my pc's?, i fed it half a silverside just now, and it's stomache came out and devoured it in a minute or so. so i guess thats a good sign, if anybody could give me general info on my carpet, it would also be appreciated, and my clown is hovering over it right now?, so i dunno what that means, but any opinions are welcome.

dawman

Carpets need metal halide lighting and your tank is too small for such species and is known for eating fish . You should do your homework before bringing something home you have no idea for what it`s needs are and requirements for it to be healthy .

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
1st off, what does "maricultured" mean?, i know wild caught, and aquacultured... but what's maricultured?, and i also have a new question, i just got home from my lfs, and returned with an atlantic carpet anemone, it's roughly 5-6 inches, and i have it high in my 30 under 130 watt pc's, and was told it'll be fine, will it be?, and can i feet it pieces of silversides?, will my clown host it?
Maricultured=aquacultured. Bred captively
The problem with anemones is that you can't "place" them. They find a spot. Carpet anemones tend to have very lethal stings, so in a smaller tank they will catch your fish.
I tend to think your lighting is too weak, but I'll let experts on lights discuss that.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Maricultured=aquacultured. Bred captively
The problem with anemones is that you can't "place" them. They find a spot. Carpet anemones tend to have very lethal stings, so in a smaller tank they will catch your fish.
I tend to think your lighting is too weak, but I'll let experts on lights discuss that.
thank you for your respectful answer, it wasn't belittling, and i got the point, i'll be purchasing a t-5 fixture soon, so he'll probably be ok, and when bigger i'll move him to a bigger tank.

dawman

Actually maricultured is a little different then aquacultured . Maricultured is breeding fish in their natural habitat which is in the ocean but in a controlled enviroment . Aquacultured is breeding in our tanks .

brokewithatank

Here is my anemone saga:
Some time ago I put together a 120 reef. Since I spent a huge amount of money to set this up, I had to make some consessions for the wife (one being an anemone and a pair of clowns).
The first anemone I purchased was a Ritteri (Heteractis Magnifica) and two false Ocellaris Clowns. The fell in love with the Ritteri and rubbed all over it.
Like others have mentioned in this thread, anemone will find their own happy place, so be ready for it to move on you. Ritteri like to be up high and love strong light. In the middle of the night it moved to the top of the tank and got caught up in a Koralia flow pump and got chewed up. It fouled the tank and killed all the other fish, but the clowns. I watched as fish by fish went belly up and died.
After some time, I purchased a carpet anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni). The false Ocellaris tried to bond with it, but appeared to be stung by it and left it alone, never to return. Within a week, my fox face went missing in action, and I assume it was eaten by the carpet. They are very sticky and there is no room for error with fish brushing against them.
I am back to a Ritteri and i kept both Koralias off until I was sure it found a good home, that it liked.
The relationship of the clowns and the anemone is very fun to watch and adds some "pizzaz" to the tank, just be careful when they are on the move, and they will eat your fish if they get too close!

zeke92

ocellaris is the false percula.
there the most laid back of all speciees of clown. i've got one and it's probably the best beginer clown anyone could get. he should get along with everything perfectky

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Dawman
Actually maricultured is a little different then aquacultured . Maricultured is breeding fish in their natural habitat which is in the ocean but in a controlled enviroment . Aquacultured is breeding in our tanks .
Well said, and I stand corrected!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by brokewithatank
....In the middle of the night it moved to the top of the tank and got caught up in a Koralia flow pump and got chewed up. ...
Yup... sadly. Anemones and open intakes do not go together. Any intake must have a prefilter if you are keeping anemones.

viper_930

Originally Posted by Dogstar
They are two different, seperate species. They can not crossbreed and are found in different areas of the world.
Crossbreeding of percs and ocellaris clowns has been done before and the offspring are often called percularis. They're natural habitats do overlap in some areas of the Indo-Pac.
30-x, I'd say your lighting isn't sufficient enough for a carpet.

mfp1016

Yup, time for a lighting upgrade!!!
To be honest, IMHO keeping anenomes never seems to be worth all the extra effort. Maybe I'm biased.
And yes, a "misbar" can sometimes fetch a high price if its complimentary.
Good Luck with your tank, but do heed warning, these forums are here for people to learn and share experiences. Do make sure you do research before you buy an animal, regardless if its a good price or if your LFS says its ok. Always come to the forums and see what experiences other people have had before you buy any animal. Having been in the hobby for a good amount of time now, it gets incredibly frustrating to hear about people who will more than likely kill whatever new purchase they've made just because the unfortunate animal was bought on an impulse, like some kind of kitchen gadget. I'm not trying to belittle you, and I do realize that a lot of people come off very harsh, and I chastice them for being childish about it. But with time you'll start to experience the same frustration, especially when you hear about a LFS lieing about the care requirements of these animals.

30-xtra high

thanks for the advice, i guess i'll be buying my buddy's t-5 off him... not a bad price, 35$ for a 40 watt fixture, and my anemone has found his place high up in the left corner, away from all intake, my powerhead can't be gotten to, it is surrounded by rock, and is impossible to get to, and my H.O.B.'s intake is in the middle of the tank, and can't be gotten to either., but what to feed now?, he ate a silverside, is that ok to feed him? (im just gunna call it a him), if he's eating does that mean he's healthy?