Octopus bh-90 skimmer overflowing

sweatervest13

Yeah. You have an issue there. It should not fill up that quickly. Can you adjust the flow from the pump??:
I have a Reef Octopus BH1000 and I adjust or tune it in by adjusting the height of the collection cup (its actually a square box). The pump for the skimmer will produce a ton of bubbles. If the collection cup is placed deep down where the bubbles are being made it will fill up and overflow quickly. I need to find the sweet spot for the height of the collection cup, by raising it (if there is too much overflowing) or lower it (if the bubbles are not building to a foamy head in the bubble chamber).
Is there any sort of gate valve or ball valve on the unit. This should control how much bubbles that the skimmer makes. You need to turn it way down and watch it to see how much "foam" it makes. You will need to play and test to see the correct amount. You want to have the "foam" start to climb the inside walls of the skimmer (this is what will produce the gross looking skimmate). The skimmate will build on its self and eventually spill over (slowly) into the collection cup. You should be able to go about a week before it would spill out of the collection cup.
Can you take some pics of the unit (from all different angles) so we can see if you have a way to dial the skimmer in???

sweatervest13

Top pic. The piece on the left. Can you try to adjust that up or down while its in the water running. My only other advice is to YouTube search of that model running or set up.