octopus hb 800s review?

apu701

anyone own/seen/like/hate this skimmer? its new, with a sicca 2500 pump.
how does it compare to a deltec mce600 or a bermuda rogue wave or CnC 125h?
how does it compare with a remora with mj1200 ? this is what i have currently..

wattsupdoc

I don't have any experience with the HOB 800s. However, by looking at it, and knowing the sicce pumps. It certainly seems like a very good HOB. I believe it will be an upgrade from the remora.

cveverly

Originally Posted by apu701
http:///forum/post/2766285
anyone own/seen/like/hate this skimmer? its new, with a sicca 2500 pump.
how does it compare to a deltec mce600 or a bermuda rogue wave or CnC 125h?
how does it compare with a remora with mj1200 ? this is what i have currently..
I have it and not sure if I like it or not ..... yet. At first the pump overpowered the skimmer body. I added a valve to the air line and that helped quite a it. Since then I drilled two 3/8" bypass holes between the activation chamber and the input chamber. Now the skimmer acts a little like a recirculation skimmer. As of today I plugged one of the holes and opened the air fully. The skimmer body is handling the pump just fine. I need to wait a couple weeks for the skimmer to break in before I know how it is going to perform. It sucks a lot of air. I had to put the muffles in my stand so I did not hear it.
I have also owned the Deltec MCE600. This is not on par with the Deltec. However it may be a good budget skimmer.
Better than a Remora? Way better.
If you are gun shy of the 800S look at the 300F. Good low budget well performing skimmer but the pumps are known to be weak. I also have a 100F with the same Resun pumps the 300F has and never had an issue.

cveverly

A little follow-up on this skimmer. I am back to using both of the bypass holes I drilled and running the air full open. It has really come to life over the last week. Very stable and nice dark skim. There is some noise because of the large amount of air is sucks in. I plan to relocate the muffler under the stand and that should help with the noise.