octopus in 29 with......

connor

i have a 29 gallon in my room with a snowflake eel i have like 15 to 20 lbs of live rock in it could i get a octopus my eel is like 13 inches.
thanks connor

liontamer

Well, to be quite frank with u, most octopi are perfectly fine in a 29 gallon, sometimes in even smaller tanks. There are smaller species that you could buy, but it would have to be by itself. The eel would definitely eat it. Its really hard to pair up octpus in a tank setup, and it would have to be a species only becuse watever is in there it will either eat, or be eaten. It will eat smaller fish, or be eaten by those larger than it.

jimmy234

do not put that octopus in that tank! it needs more room than that. the eel will pick on it. octopi tanks require the rocks to be glued down/together because they are smart and strong and could break something or injur themselves.

school_sux

Originally posted by jimmy234
do not put that octopus in that tank! it needs more room than that. the eel will pick on it. octopi tanks require the rocks to be glued down/together because they are smart and strong and could break something or injur themselves.

actully the room is fine.

sharksbait

An eel is the natural predator of the octopus so the eel would pretty much end up eating it.In a 29 gallon,I would probably put just enough live rock in the tank for a nice size den and put the rest down below in a refugium or sump.I have a Briareus in a 36 gallon corner bowfront and she felt comfortable enough in it to lay eggs.A octopus will eat pretty much anything including another octopus,so I would only put one in a tank by itself.It might be possible to put siblings together in a tank ,but I think eventually the weaker one would end up deceased for they live alone in the wild........

joker_ca

YES THE PEOPLE ARE RIGHT EELS ARE THE NATURAL PREDATORS OF OCTOPUSES. YOUR SNOWFLAKE WOULD TAKE SOME LIMBS OFF AND EVENTUALLY KILL THE OCTOPUS AND IF HE INKS IN SUCH A SMALL TANK THE INK CAN EFFECT THE RESPIRATION OF THE OCTOPUS

sharksbait

If they ink,you can use panty hose to strainmost of it out and then having a good skimmer and running lots of charcoal should quickly take care of the rest.

unleashed

Originally posted by joker_ca
YES THE PEOPLE ARE RIGHT EELS ARE THE NATURAL PREDATORS OF OCTOPUSES. YOUR SNOWFLAKE WOULD TAKE SOME LIMBS OFF AND EVENTUALLY KILL THE OCTOPUS AND IF HE INKS IN SUCH A SMALL TANK THE INK CAN EFFECT THE RESPIRATION OF THE OCTOPUS

snowfalke eels are the least agressive of the eel family also one of the smallest youmay find as an octipus is also a very agressive predator your eel could aslo become a snack for your octopus I keep small damsels with my snowflake eel he would prefer to eat what doesnt swim away

fishy411

Actually SFE's are the most unpredictable. I have heard of them Living with shrimp and Have heard some stories of peoples SFEs eating Lionfish. I wouldnt chance it.

coachwah

Had a SFE about three years ago. It was about 1' when I bought it and grew to over 18" in 6 months. Sold it back to the LFS after it ate 2 medium sized tangs and a piece of my finger. I would say they are unpredictable in terms of their temperment.